Prologue

Meerab was tired of sitting in her room. Marium had asked her to sit there as they were supposedly planning a surprise birthday party.
Marium and her brother Murtasim were Meerab's cousins from her father's side. Despite being close to Marium in age, Meerab shared a very close friendship bond with Murtasim.
Murtasim was partly the reason she wasn't really excited about the birthday party. He was visiting the village and wouldn't be back for a few days. Even though she hated it when Murtasim teased her so much, a part of her missed him whenever he was busy with work or went to the village.
Meerab didn't really know her mother's side of the family. When she was little she used to think that Baray Abu and Maa Begum were her parents. When she had turned 10, Maa Begum had told her that her mother had died at childbirth while her father lived abroad. He had shifted to another country after his wife's death. Meerab hadn't really cared. For her, Baray Abu and Maa Begum were her parents whatsoever.
It was at the age of 14 that Meerab felt the loss of a parent when Baray Abu passed away.
Even though Murtasim had been her best friend since childhood, he became extra protective and caring after Baray Abu's death.

Murtasim Khan was the Gaddi Nasheen of the Khan family since his Chacha (paternal uncle) had never taken an interest in the feudal responsibilities after his father passed away. He travelled to and fro the village and their house in Hyderabad in order to fulfil his responsibilities as a feudal lord. Long gone was the carefree Murtasim who had all the time in the world to spend with Meerab and his family.

********************************

A/N: I dreamt this plot and could not wait to publish the prologue. Let me know what you think :)