1.2 | i'll never walk cornelia street again

Start from the beginning

Taylor looked at Joe helplessly, urging him to continue his explanation. "Mommy isn't going to leave." It softened Leanna's sniffles, but she still turned to Taylor for confirmation.

"I'm not gonna leave." Taylor nodded at her daughter, stroking her hair gently to calm her nerves. Leanna was quick to pick up on what Joe meant, well, at least partially.

"Are you leaving?" Leanna asked, her cheeks rosy from crying. She reached for Joe, waiting for his answer, and when he failed to provide her with one, she climbed onto his lap. Taylor put her hands in the air protectively, creating a bubble around the toddler and preventing her from falling to the ground.

Joe lifted the little girl from his lap, placing a gentle kiss on her forehead. "You'll be okay. You'll have Mommy." Leanna shook her head as sobs escaped from her mouth.

"I want you too."

"It's not like you won't see me again, it'll just be a little trip." Leanna buried her face on his shoulder."It'll only be 1 year at most." Joe put up his index finger, "See? Only one, it won't be long." He repeated, hoping the two year old won't be able to tell the difference between the words 'day' and 'year'.

"That's 365 days, Daddy." The little girl wipes her tears with the back of her hand, she could act so much older then her age sometimes.

"It'll all go by very quickly, princess."

"But that's a very big number," she tilted her head in confusion, blinking twice before looking back at Taylor who offered her a forced smile.

"Hey," he patted her on the head delicately, brushing his hand against her brushy blonde hair. Just like Taylor's. "Why don't I tell you some good news? Hmm?" Leanna looked up, her curiosity overpowering her sadness. "You know how we showed you photos of Mommy in pretty dresses, yea?" She nodded in response. "And we told you that Mommy only wears that on special occasions when she has to work." Work. Leanna's worst enemy. Her eyes widened slightly as her lips quivered, her eyes sending both of the adults one question: Mommy's not going away again, is she? "What if I tell you that while I'm away, you'll be able to see Mommy in those shiny outfits?"

Taylor rolled her eyes. Well that's one way to tell her that I'm going on tour.

Joe seemed to have caught her reaction as he sent her an apologetic look. He knew Taylor didn't want Leanna to know about it yet, he knew Taylor hadn't decided on whether or not she should bring her daughter with her. But that was before the events of the past days, that was before she knew that he was going to suggest that they take a break, and Joe knew that Taylor wouldn't leave Leanna without one of them for over six months.

"Will I really?" Her question broke their silent conversation. "Will I see Mommy in those?"

"Of course you would." Joe reached for Taylor's hand, begging for her help. She sighed as she pulled her daughter back onto her lap.

"We'll travel around the world and dress up like princesses together while Daddy's gone, yea?" She tried her best to find the most simple and cheerful clarification as she watched the toddler in her arms clap. The corners of her mouth twisted upwards as she broke into a bright smile, the tears from before long gone.

"Can I be the princess from Tangled?" Leanna questioned, jumping up and down on the couch in anticipation. "Can I, Mommy?"

"You can be anything you want, Leah."

⎯⎯

"I'll miss you." Taylor admitted as she darted her eyes across to the luggage on the floor. Most of his things had been shipped, so all that is left are stuffed into two large suitcases.

Joe was handsome as always - well, in her opinion, at least - dressed in ginger coloured jeans and a matching coat that hid his chequered jumper inside. It contrasted heavily with her own outfit. With her ice blue cotton dress, sky coloured trench coat and white knee-length boots, Taylor could easily blend in with the pile of snow that had formed on the streets overnight.

"Hey," he took her hand in his. "We'll see each other again."

"I know we would." Taylor held his hand with both of hers, taking a deep breath to force the tears away. She promised not to cry, she promised to end their relationship with a sweet and unforgettable farewell.

"I should say goodbye to our little princess before I go." Taylor nodded as she turned towards the hallway.

"Leah! You wanna come and say goodbye to Daddy?" Soon enough, seconds after she yelled for her daughter, soft footsteps paddled across the floor.

Joe bent down to pick up their daughter, their little princess.

"Come back soon." Leanna leaned her head against his shoulder, a small pout forming on her face.

"I will." He offered her a sad smile, "In the meantime, be a good girl for mommy, will you?" The toddler nodded obediently. "I have to go, okay? I love you." He placed a soft kiss on top of her head, and in return, he received a sloppy kiss on the cheek.

"Bye, bye." She waved at Joe as she was returned into Taylor's arms. He gave both of his girls an air kiss before heading out the front door. Taylor held it open, watching him as he placed his belongings into the trunk of the car.

Leanna squirmed a little in her arms, so she set the toddler on the floor, stretching her leg and blocking the doorway to make sure she wouldn't run out. The little girl crossed her arms across her chest in fake annoyance and headed back into the house.

Joe looked back at Taylor before opening the car door, smiling dejectedly at her. Taylor turned her head to check for her daughter, and when she was sure Leanna was back in the playroom, she took the cue and sprinted towards him.

The snow that once fell from the clouds were now tiny, harmless raindrops, hysterically trying to attack Taylor as it clinged on to her coat. The freezing gusts of wind felt like thousands of tiny needles piercing through her skin, although as she neared him, it smelt more like a messenger carrying the scent of love.

She slammed her lips onto his, her hands gripping his hair demandingly as she pushed him back against the car. His hands snaked up her waist, tugging her closer to him as he granted her an entrance into his mouth. Immediately, their tongues tangled and went to war in their locked mouths, searching for something they both longed for: familiarity, comfort and reassurance.

They only pulled away to catch their breath, their cheeks pink from the chilly weather of January. Joe kept his arms around her waist as she hung hers around his neck. They studied each other for a moment, reminiscing about how they used to be: young, reckless, and fearless.

The taste of her lips were still lingering in his mouth - strawberry and vanilla - that's the two closest words he could use to describe it. He lifted his hand to tuck a strand of blonde curls the wind had so criminally pulled from her perfect sleek ponytail on top of her head, his thumb brushing against her cheek playfully as he did so.

They stared at each other for a few more seconds, Taylor, into his ocean blue eyes and Joe into her electric blue orbs. He removed his hand from his face, both desperately praying for this moment to last forever.

She gave him a cheeky grin as she whispered alluringly, "I love you."

The corner of his mouth quirked upwards as the look on his face matched hers. "I love you too."

But love isn't always enough.

——
AUTHOR'S NOTES

I'm afraid that that's all the breakup drama you're gonna get for now :) I'll writing a more optimistic story for the next one 😆 I hope you enjoyed reading my work, I'm really not a professional but I'm just so happy to be able to share this with you all. You've all been so supportive and I'm more than grateful for that. Also, 200+ reads?! WTF you've guys had outdone yourselves. THANK YOU SO MUCH.

Oh, and lastly, a special thank you to kasasha7
for all your comments and votes, it really made my day!

Please continue to vote and drop comments along the chapter! Thank you so much 😊