pride month special

Start from the beginning

I sigh. From what I know, Edward's already lost a lot of people close to him. So I should've guessed he wouldn't want to lose me, either. Gods, I can so blind...I put the Monster down, and rake a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry...I just...I guess I'm so used to drinking stuff with caffeine. I can be a real dick when told not to drink it."

"It's okay," he says, giving me a small smile. But I know he's only saying it so I won't worry. "Forget about it. I'm alright."

I look Edward in the eyes, and I know he's lying. But I don't know if I should call him out.

Instead, I just wordlessly hug him. And I don't hug people often.

He's surprised, but he doesn't oppose it. I can tell.

After a few minutes, I release Edward from my hug and take his hand in my own. He smiles at me, and I smile back.

I really like these quiet moments between us, when we don't say a word. It's...calming, in a way.

But...the moment just has to get interrupted. By none other than my best friend, Karen.

(Note: That's not my bestie's real name she just said to do that because it was funny lmao)

Now I love her (platonically), but gods does she seem to interrupt things at the wrong time. "Uh...what's going on?" Karen asks awkwardly, looking at me.

I sigh and let go of Edward's hand. "Stuff, Karen. You want coffee or something?"

"You bet," she replies. "And some writing advice."

Karen's also a writer, and we exchange advice all the time. I can already see Edward trying to leave so he doesn't hear anything...

It's so funny to me that whenever Karen and I talk about writing, anyone else in the room casually leaves. I guess they have the sanity we don't.

Karen and I have talked about some wild shit when it comes to writing. So I guess if anyone else here wants to keep some small shred of their innocence alive, they leave.

"So...what do you need?" I ask, going back to sipping my Monster.

"How do I write a gay couple?" Karen asks. "Like, how do I develop the relationship from friends to lovers, what dynamic should I do..."

"Uh...like, friends to enemies to lovers, maybe?" I suggest. "Or...rivals to lovers. It really depends."

"Sure, I can go with friends to enemies to lovers..." she says. "Like, what should I do to make them enemies?"

"Love interest gaslights the main character somehow," I reply, sipping more Monster and leaning against the counter now. "Like, the love interest says the main character never really cared and the main character...just breaks when they hear that."

Karen nods. "Okay...what about the make-up and then they realize they're in love with each other?"

"I'd say have them not talk to each other, then have them meet again by coincidence...they start by arguing but then one goes, 'Because I love you' or something."

She nods. "Well...thanks. Mind getting me a coffee, though?"

"Of course." I reply. "Double Affogato with chocolate ice cream?"

"Always."

I go to make Karen her drink and come back, handing it to her. "Fresh Affogato, double with chocolate ice cream."

She grins. "Thanks."

I nod and grin back. "I wanna see that gay story when you're done..."

"Yeah, I promise. Don't worry, Ash."