𝗖𝗛𝗔𝗣𝗧𝗘𝗥 𝗫 ⸺ 𝘀𝘁𝗶𝘁𝗰𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝘂𝗿𝗻𝗶𝗻𝗴𝘀.

┊ ┊ ┊ ┊✯ ┊ ┊ ✯★ ┊ ★✯ ✯★

┊ ┊ ┊ ┊
✯ ┊ ┊ ✯
★ ┊ ★
✯ ✯

THE WAVES WERE calmer at night. It was as if they had slowed from a full day of rushing near the village in foamy rolls to quiet lapping, coming to lick Amraë's feet, hanging from the nest she sat on at the edge of the village. The salted breeze on her face was, by now, an anchor for Amraë to hold onto, to make sure she was fully awake. In her dreams, all she smelled was smoke. This night terror had been particularly violent: this time, Amraë had tried to escape the fire by climbing to a tree still standing, only for the demonic version of her sister to find her at the top and push her back into the flames. Amraë had woken with a start to find her sister's broken mask seemingly staring at her from her bag. She had practically run out of the hut.

The potion Ronal had given her had been all but a temporary solution; Amraë had been foolish to think it would make her get past her grief. The nightmares, the exhaustion, all this was now part of her. The dark circles under her eyes kept growing darker, and her mood worst. She talked less and less, isolated herself more. Sometimes, she would wake up in the middle of the night, run off to the forest and scream until her lungs burnt. Sometimes the anger was like a wave ready to submerge everything in its way, and sometimes she got so numb she could not even feel her limbs. Amraë was perfectly conscious of the whispers about her among the other young, stopping as soon as she came in hearing range. It was not as if they could understand. No one would ever understand what she had gone through.

A shadow slid over the Eye's light; Amraë jumped to her feet in an instant. Hands were raised in a pacific gesture; it took some time for Amraë to recognize the graveled voice.

"Pardon me. I did not mean to startle you."

Immediately, Amraë bowed her head in respect, her mind already racing for the reason why would Tonowari come see her in the middle of the night.

"Olo'eyktan."

Maybe I'm not efficient enough. Maybe he's going to kick me out.

"I prefer the village at night, when the heartbeat of our Mother slows to a quiet breath."

He paused, his gaze travelling over the water.

"May I sit with you?"

Amraë blinked, taken aback by the question. His intentions were still unclear; nevertheless, she did not have much of a choice.

"Of course."

He took place near where she was sitting, and Amraë could not help a wary glance.

"You are not one to trust easily."

This had been a statement, not a question; Amraë did not respond, for he was right. She had plenty reasons not to trust anyone.

"I know very few who would have overcome what you went through, Amraë," he went on, casting her a look. Amraë kept her gaze fixed on the water. "You have your mother's courage."