Douglas must hear the power of truth in my words because he nods, and the tension in his shoulders eases.

"I'll take watch," Douglas says after a beat of silence. "I'm sure Tegan is tired of seeing my face, anyway."

I scoff and turn towards the door, muttering under my breath. "She sure as hell won't be happy to see me."

Douglas chuckles as I move into the house. I think I hear him say something in return, something along the lines of 'you'd be surprised,' but it's probably wishful thinking on my end. I round the corner to the kitchen and keep my face natural when Tegan glances up and our eyes connect.

Douglas adjusted her position since the last time I was in here, arranging towels and blankets to keep her comfortable while she heals. Her skin is clean from blood and dirt, but her complexion is waxen. Tegan watches my every move as I trudge across the room and plop down on the chair beside her.

"You humans," she mutters with a scratchy voice. "Always so slow and clunky."

I prop my elbows on my knees and lean in with a scowl. "That's awful cheeky coming from a Secondary who was quite literally on her deathbed a few hours ago."

Tegan tilts her head back, doing her best to turn her nose down to me. The subtle movement isn't lost on me, and the muscles clench along my jaw with frustration. I don't even know why I'm here. I can't stand Tegan to begin with - the female is condescending, infuriating, and she consistently pushes my blood pressure to its limit.

"You're impossible," I huff.

"Not impossible," she responds smugly. "Just superior."

I tell myself to get up and walk away. That'll show her. But a glint of humor flickers in her emerald eyes, and I can't seem to find the will to move. I hold her gaze, and heat creeps up the back of my neck. With it comes an emotion that I've suppressed for years. It's one that caused me too much pain in the past. One I don't want to feel again.

I clear my throat and glance away. "Douglas said you're not healing fast enough."

"Males are such gossips," is her only response.

A stalemate, then. She is too prideful to ask for blood, and I sure as hell won't take the first step to offer mine. She already thinks I'm weak; I won't give her any more evidence to support that claim. I lean back in the chair and thread my fingers together behind my head. The posture does wonders for my biceps, and I have no issue showcasing my assets, knowing full well both my muscles and my veins are on full display.

She narrows her gaze, but not before giving a fleeting glance to my arms.

"As if you'd offer your blood to me anyway," she snarks, and her pupils dilating tell me all I need to know.

Douglas was right; she's hungry, and she needs my blood.

"You're right," I respond. "I wouldn't. You're a pompous Secondary who thinks I'm beneath her. I couldn't care less about how quickly you heal. But..."

Instead of immediately offering a rebuttal, to my surprise, Tegan holds her tongue. Having the upper hand feels glorious.

"If healing you faster means better protection for the rest of the group and Finn, I guess I'd be willing to sacrifice my veins for a few minutes," I say with a shrug.

Indecision dances across her features, and I feel a twinge of guilt. With a dramatic eye roll, Tegan holds out her hand.

"Just give me your arm," she snaps.

I can't stop chuckling as I lean forward again, this time offering up my arm to her. Tegan's slender fingers curl around my wrist, and my pulse gallops at the small touch. She quirks a brow at the half moon scars that are still there after all these years. She traces the translucent marks with her fingertips, her feather-light touch brushing against the mangled skin.

"It's from my Vampire," I mutter. "When I was a human Consort for her."

Tegan swallows and clears her throat. "Do I really have your permission to feed from you?"

Her tone is hesitant, vulnerable. With my free hand, I reach towards her, tipping her chin up to meet me eye to eye.

"Yes," I say. "As much as you need."

She nods a single time before bringing her lips to the base of my wrist. Her teeth break the skin and I grimace at the initial pain - a type of pain I tried to bury along with all the memories from years ago. She drinks slowly at first, tasting me in small sips. Despite my better judgment, I tentatively thread my fingers through her hair, encouraging her towards my wrist.

The small sips become gulps, and I shudder at the ferocity of it. The blinding pain subsides, and in its place, a burning pleasure licks along my arm. A low moan slips out of my lips before I can stop it. When I was a Consort, it was only every pain. Never pleasure. Never this.

I am so lost in the moment I don't hear the commotion outside. I don't hear Douglas' muffled screams. Nothing comes into focus until Tegan rips her teeth from my wrist, fear seeping into her irises as she focuses her gaze behind me. My blood dribbles from her lips and slides down her slender chin.

Strong hands jerk me away from the chair, away from Tegan. I'm slammed against the wall, and the temporary fog shatters when a familiar face comes into focus.

"Where. Is. He."

"Reyo..." I sputter, scratching at his hands as they squeeze around my neck.

He looks just as I remembered him, but the wildness in his eyes is frantic. A male possessed. His gaze searches around the room, and he barks for the guards to do a sweep of the house. He snarls again mere inches from my face.

"Where is Finn," he growls.

My vision winks in and out, and I desperately gulp down air when he lessons his hold to hear my response.

"Not here," I say through gasps.

A Secondary guard bounds into the kitchen, two others on his heel.

"Mr. Primary. The house is clear."

Reyo pulls me away from the wall just to slam me against it again. Without letting me go, he commands over his shoulder, "Grab the prisoners - bind them and gag them. We found their safe house, so we are close. I'll meet you out front shortly. MOVE!"

It's only when the front door closes, signaling their departure, that Reyo turns back to me, a cruel smile spreading across his lips.

"You should have never let me catch you, human," Reyo smirks. "Now...I will show you why."