Chapter 10

Bogdan

The forest trees beckon me with open arms. Their limbs bend and stretch to the wind, joints creaking with age. The scent of pine intertwines with stale blood. It is an unpleasant combination, one surely to catch the nose of any non-human who crosses this path. I send a furtive glance over my shoulder, eyeing the hidden cottage a final time before slipping into the safety of the shadows.

Kelly was confident in his ability to keep Finn safe. I consider this assurance and frown. Where my human was once the weakest, he is now a force of strength in his new form. Perhaps I should have reversed the request. I weave through the forest, the evening's presence nipping at my heels. Thoughts of Finn hum through my mind like a buzz of electricity. It is a dangerous stream of thought, the type which leads to mistakes and distractions.

I breathe in the stale blood, allowing my vampiric senses to dominate my mind and motion. The thoughts quiet to a mere whisper and my instincts sharpen. I smell the fox's fear as I near its burrow. Its frantic eyes watch me as I pass in a blur. Somewhere in a tree above me, a bird rearranges its nest, adjusting the twigs and feathers to hold its weight. An owl spots me approaching and lets out a warning call. A predator is on the loose. The creatures of the night silence their noise as I run through Nature's playground, holding their collective breath and hoping to avoid my attention.

A slender silhouette comes into focus. They are standing tall but hidden from sight – watching, waiting. I slip behind a tree and allow the wind to catch the intruder's scent. I breathe it in and continue to approach. It is Tegan.

"Were you followed?"

I murmur the question as I sidle up beside her. The Secondary's expression sours.

"Of course not." She scans the length of my torso, searching for any obvious signs of injury or trauma. "You look well," she deduces.

While she does not appear to have suffered any injuries, her normal energy is in a weakened state. Pockets of dark purple and blue swell beneath her sharp eyes. Her sunken cheeks are pale beneath the moonlight. I nod in acknowledgement but refrain from offering the same sentiment in return.

Tegan continues. "Reyo has called in the Secondary guards from the palace. I tried to stall the search, attributing it to needing to form a plan, but he's frantic."

We knew Reyo would act in one of two ways at Finn's disappearance – frantic or calculated. Through his response, however, we also knew we would gain a clear picture of his intent with Finn.

"His use for Finn goes beyond political gain and positioning himself for power," I conclude, refusing to acknowledge the sensation of heat swelling in the pit of my stomach. "He has developed a personal infatuation with Finn, too."

Tegan grimaces. "It's beyond an infatuation, Bogdan. He's obsessed."

The heat intensifies. I set my jaw in a defiant line and feel a pull to return to the cottage.

"Get him out of here – and quickly," Tegan instructs. "Reyo's emotions may be running wild, but what he's lacking right now in common sense he's compensating for with unbridled passion. You won't have much time before he closes in on you."

"Does he still believe this was The Force's doing?"

Tegan tilts her head back and forth, weighing her choice of words.

"Yes." She hesitates. "But he also believes you're leading them."

I scoff at the notion. How unruly. Yet, my wayward reaction dissipates as I attempt to unfold today's events through Reyo's eyes. He is a Secondary known for radical decisions, his aggressive strategy aligning with a high-risk, high-payoff approach. He has been searching to find me for years. While I have done well to remain below his radar, his imagination has gotten the best of him. He believes I have built a cold-blooded army against him.