Chapter 9

A/N: Hey, folks!  Just a heads up and a reminder on this one.  It's in Finn's POV, and because they're still trying to keep their identities secret, Kelly and Bogdan will be introducing themselves with their designated code names - Daniel and Kaleb.  Just wanted to clarify so there wasn't confusion!

Hope you all enjoy and looking forward to your feedback!

______________________________________________________

Finn

The human woman bustles about her home and gently urges us to sit. She attempts to straighten the lace table runner laying in disarray atop the oak dinette. When she spots the collection of debris and mud smeared into its surface, a sigh of frustration escapes her lips.

"I'm Maggie," she says in an attempt of introduction, and her eyes land on the soiled lace. Embarrassment stains her cheeks. "Please excuse the mess. I was hoping to have things looking a bit nicer for your arrival."

She collects the dirtied cloth and glances down the deserted hallway, no doubt searching for the two men who hastily disappeared the moment we entered the cottage – one of them being the cloaked man. I can hear the timbre of their voices from rooms away, but the words are muffled, as if they're both speaking behind a wall of glass.

"C-can I offer either of you anything to eat or drink?" she tries again, gesturing to the well-worn couches.

Neither of us responds. The silence unnerves her, and she brings her hands together, wringing them again and again. Is she nervous to be alone in our presence? Or at the realization that the object of Reyo's obsession is now being held hostage in her living room? Perhaps it's a combination. She has to realize the risk of capturing me, knowing it puts a target on all their backs.

"I'll...I'll just go get a platter together, then," Maggie mutters. "I'm sure you're both tired after...well, I'm sure you could both use a pick-me-up."

She retreats to the kitchen, leaving the stagnant emotion of angst trailing after her. What she doesn't realize is this moment of reprieve is exactly what I need. I angle myself towards Douglas to assess the damage from today. Cuts and bruises paint his tanned skin like a human canvas of war. Dried blood clings to him - his hands, his face, and his clothes. The bruise beneath his right eye is turning the color of a moldy plum. I don't smell any fresh blood from him, though, nor do I smell the beginnings of rot from within him. He will heal.

"I'm sorry for the loss of your fellow guards today," I offer in condolence. "From this point forward, for as long as you are in my care, I will do all I can to protect you."

Douglas' eyes turn downcast. "That's the same promise I made to the Secondary Guard when I was sworn in to protect you, Finn. I should have died out there today protecting you. I should have fought until my last breath."

I hum in disagreement. "If you had died today, I would have shown no restraint sparing the others. And I'm not certain I would have stopped there. Once I allowed that demon within me to break free, he became difficult to reign in. If I had reached town in that state, innocents would have died."

I frown, feeling that dark chain connecting me with the monster inside me. It's back to its silent, dormant state, and yet I can feel a flicker of dark elation that I've allowed his existence to become known. Allowed his power to be known.

"If that had happened," I say firmly, "I wouldn't have been able to forgive myself. Not ever. By staying alive, Douglas, you saved me from this fate. You protected me. Your oath remains intact."

A faint smile tugs at the corners of Douglas' mouth. "Only you would find a way to spin my human inadequacy into a strength."

"Humanity is the greatest strength there is. Don't ever question that."