Chapter 8

Bogdan

Reggie kicks his muddied boots onto Maggie's coffee table. The movement snags the table runner, and one of her intricate, homemade baubles tumbles to the floor. I catch it just before it shatters, gently securing it against my palm. Maggie loosens a breath when I hand the ornament back to her.

"Thank you," she sighs softly. "This is a family heirloom, you know. Passed down generation after generation. It's one of the only things I packed for sentimental value when the vampires attacked our town."

She opens her palm to show me. It's a purple trinket, delicately painted with flecks of silver and gold. She tilts it from side to side, and the colors transform. Names shimmer beneath the surface of purple glass, only visible when the light hits it just right.

"My mom had it made for us," she explains. "It has the names of each member of my family. Me, my two brothers, my mom, and my dad. At the time we teased her for it. Why get such a thing made? We all knew our names."

Her shoulders sag as she stares at the small token from a world long forgotten.

"Now I wonder if, on some level, she knew how important it would be to us," she whispers. "Well, to me. It's the only thing I have to remind me it was real. That they were real."

Pain radiates from her. It's potent and deep-rooted. There aren't many humans I have come across who feel emotions this deeply. It reminds me of my human, and the similarity sits like lead in the pit of my stomach.

"Given our current company," I murmur, glancing back at the very human motorcyclist, "I recommend moving delicate items such as these out of reach. Humans can be quite clumsy."

Kelly moves beside her, unaware of the somber mood, and scowls. "Not all humans, Bog-man. This human has enough grace to put your immortal ass to shame."

He sticks his chest out in triumph, and gently bumps his shoulder against Maggie's to urge her support. She hastily wipes away the newly formed tears from her eyes and offers him a weak smile. Kelly frowns and glances between us. He eyes the purple token held in Maggie's palm, but there is no recognition.

"Pretty ornament," he notes.

And he says I am of the insensitive species.

Maggie winces but thanks him all the same. If not for my human, I would not understand that a moment such as this calls for intervention.

"Has there been any additional news?" I ask

It is enough to interrupt our conversation while simultaneously pulling Reggie's attention to us.

After informing us of the 'problem' The Force was experiencing in capturing Finn, we agreed to move the rendezvous location to Maggie's cabin. Admittedly, the idea of coming so close to saving Finn and possibly losing him did not settle well. However, there was something akin to pride listening to the details of how he singlehandedly brought down a pack of vampires.

I do not know Finn the vampire. Over the years I have wondered many times what he is like. How much humanity is left intact? Because of his Nirv blood as a human, I have also wondered how that might play a role in his powers as an immortal.

Reggie scratches at his uneven beard. "Haven't heard anything. Just that they had it under control and when they got him, they'd bring him here."

Kelly huffs beside me. "I still don't think it's a good idea adding The Force into the mix, regardless of what Teg - er, Lady Elain says. From what I hear, they hate Secondaries. Want to wipe 'em out and take back control. Sound familiar?"