♡ living proof ♡

Start from the beginning

Annabeth rolled her eyes. "You're incorrigible."

Emerson shrugged. "I got it from Percy." She gave him a pointed look. "You're coming over soon, alright? At least once around my birthday. If you're not coming to the big party, tell me to hang out earlier." She looked over at Annabeth, giving her a smile. "And that goes for you, too, since apparently you know Percy too. Come over to my place together."

"Uh huh . . ." Annabeth muttered, looking between the two of them. "How do you two know each other?"

"Um . . ." Percy looked at Emerson for help.

She put on her winning smile — which was also synonymous with her lying smile. "It's a long story," she said. "It would take a while to explain."

Conveniently, Emerson heard Theo's voice call across the ballroom: "Emmy! Do you think Mom would let us throw a party in the house? This blows!"

She let out a sigh, glancing over at Percy and Annabeth apologetically. "Duty calls," she said. "I would ask you to save me a dance, but if I'm throwing a party . . . well, that might not be happening."

Giving them a grin, she turned on her heel and strutted to the dance floor, calling: "Theo, I need to get my crown first! Also, you're literally a Sinclair, you own every type of business in existence, we're not holding a party at home."

And, well . . . the rest of that night went unexpectedly.

* * *

Emerson was lying in her hospital bed, pointedly ignoring the hospital food on the tray ( for more reasons than one ), when the door opened and two of her favorite people piled in.

"Ugh, don't look at me," she said, wrinkling her nose. "It's bad enough I have to stay here, but to wear this ugly hospital gown? Ridiculous."

"Weren't you stabbed two days ago?" asked Annabeth, sitting down on one of the visitors' chairs.

"You were dead, Em," Percy said. "We saw it."

Emerson rolled her eyes. "I'm living proof that that isn't true," she said, but that was a partial truth. Technically, she wasn't even alive anymore. "They're calling me a medical miracle, have you heard? That's why there's so much paparazzi outside. And, well, the fact that it was me who was stabbed."

Percy looked out the window, his face scrunching in disgust at the sight. She'd always thought that
particular expression was cute. Don't tell Annabeth, though. Emerson was pretty sure she was the one who kissed Percy and made him rant about it to her for, honestly, longer than she wanted.

But that was fine. Emerson enjoyed it when he talked. In fact, she enjoyed it when they both were talking her ear off. What a shame they were both here to, hopefully, do that to her.

"Yes, because you needed another ego boost," Annabeth rolled her eyes, looking at Emerson, despite that she told them not to look at her. The audacity.

"Someone as humble as me needs an ego boost once in awhile," Emerson shrugged, looking over at the table stand her food ( that she was decidedly not going to eat ) was on, the crown she'd won that night settled next to it. "The crown doesn't feel like it when I've won it for the third year in a row."