Chapter Thirty-Two: Blue Christmas

Sebastian didn't want to be at Hogwarts during the holidays. He wanted to be with Anne. He didn't even care that that meant he'd also have to see Solomon. Being apart from his twin sister on Christmas Day felt inherently wrong. A few nights ago, he had sent her the crest, carefully concealing a note within a hidden crevice of the worn wood. He hoped she would discover it soon and respond.

Christmas morning held a cherished tradition for Sebastian and Anne-a delightful exchange of gifts over pie for breakfast, a special indulgence. Ominis had joined them the past few years as well, which made the day even more enjoyable. The tradition, passed down by his parents, had endured through the years, despite his uncle's disapproval of pie as a morning repast. In the afternoon, they would cozy up by the fireplace, taking turns reading aloud from their favorite books. Anne and Ominis reveled in thrilling adventures, while Sebastian was drawn to darker tales. The evening would bring dinner, followed by savoring the remaining pie they had started that morning. They would go to bed with full bellies and full hearts. A deep sigh escaped Sebastian's lips as he pondered whether Anne missed him and whether her day had been a pleasant one. At the very least, he wished her day had been better than his.

Sebastian had dedicated the entire day immersing himself in the pages of various books he found last night in the Restricted Section of the library, books about relics and dark sacrifices. There were more about both subjects than he expected. The solitude of Christmas Eve had been a good time for snooping - no one was in the library last night, not even Madam Scribner. In fact, Sebastian thought to himself, he hadn't seen Peeves in days. Did poltergeists celebrate Christmas?

He was re-reading Salazar Slytherin's spellbook as well, which he used as a valuable point of reference. The sections pertaining to the relic had been meticulously studied, their contents ingrained in his mind. With each subsequent reading, he yearned to unearth something new, to ignite a spark of inspiration. Alas, fortune had not yet favored him in this pursuit.

Sebastian was also having a hard time figuring out what the relic actually did, despite carrying it around with him everywhere. It wouldn't do for him to leave the relic somewhere where anyone could stumble upon it. He often found himself unconsciously brushing his fingers against it, nestled securely in his robe pocket. Over the past week he had manipulated the relic with various elements - warming it with the flame from a candle, submerging it in water, freezing it with Glacius - with no reaction. Curiously, the faint whispers he had heard when clutching the relic in the catacomb had not resurfaced. He dismissed that moment as a figment of sleep-deprived imagination.

After a long day of research in the Undercroft, Sebastian was now sitting alone on a bench in Defense Against the Dark Arts Tower. It was early evening. He probably should head to the Great Hall, as the Christmas Feast was in full swing, but he couldn't convince himself to join in the festivities. It didn't feel right.

While Henry and Rupert had gone home for Christmas, Ominis and Damien had remained. The only time Sebastian saw Ominis was at night when they went to bed. They were still avoiding each other. As for Damien, to Sebastian's disappointment, he was playing exceptionally hard to get. They hadn't crossed paths since the holidays began. Sebastian hadn't even caught a glimpse of him wandering the corridors. He couldn't help but wonder if Damien was purposefully avoiding him. Sebastian hoped his apology letter sounded sincere enough.

His stomach growled. When was the last time he had eaten? Probably breakfast. He had been so focused on his research that everything else had been neglected. He stood up, slung the strap of his satchel over his shoulder, and descended the stairs.

As Sebastian pushed open the heavy doors to the Great Hall, a wave of muffled laughter and jubilant revelry washed over him, causing him to wince involuntarily. The cacophony of sound combined with the palpable atmosphere of happiness pierced through his being, a stark contrast to the emotions he currently felt.