Chapter Twenty-Three: Post-Scriptorium & an Unexpected Turn of Events

"Merlin's arse," Sebastian whinged as he paced back and forth in the common area, raking his fingers through his already tousled hair. He was still stuck on the events of the previous night. He hadn't even been able to muster up the strength to read more than a few pages of Salazar Slytherin's spellbook. The memory of casting Crucio on Damien haunted Sebastian relentlessly, an inescapable presence that infiltrated his every thought. It didn't help that Damien seemed to always be on his mind. When he wasn't thinking about a cure for Anne, he was thinking about him. It was both welcoming and infuriating.

It was late. Everyone was already tucked up in their beds for the night, except for Sebastian and Ominis. Ominis was sitting by the fire, tea cup in hand. Sebastian was unsure why Ominis was still awake, but he suspected it had something to do with the events of the night before as well. They hadn't spoken to each other yet, but it wouldn't do to not at least acknowledge his presence when Ominis was just sitting there.

Sebastian stopped pacing, alighting directly in front of Ominis. He cleared his throat.

Ominis tilted his head. "What's on your mind, Sebastian?"

"A little bit of everything, I suppose."

"That would explain how unusually quiet you've been today."

"Was it that noticeable?"

"Oh yes - you've been positively suspicious. Have you been avoiding me?"

Sebastian sunk down into a chair beside Ominis. "No, I thought you were avoiding me," he replied with a sulk.

"You thought wrong."

Sebastian smoothed his robes in his lap mindlessly, but didn't say anything.

"Sebastian, talk to me."

Sebastian groaned and after another long pause, punctuated by Ominis huffing in frustration, finally responded. "I'm just...thinking."

"About the scriptorium?" Ominis asked under his breath.

"Yes - and no."

"Ah, very illuminating."

Despite himself, Sebastian smirked.

Ominis sipped his tea before continuing. "So, what's really on your mind?"

"Promise me you won't laugh."

Ominis's expression sobered. "I won't make light of whatever it is, I promise. Not after what we've been through."

Sebastian sighed. "I've been thinking about Damien."

"What about him?"

Sebastian sank deeper into his chair and crossed his arms across his chest. "I feel awful about what happened. I never should have given him the option for me to use the curse on him."

"I see," Ominis nodded thoughtfully. "You're worried about the consequences of your actions."

Sebastian hung his head. "I never expected him to actually choose it. I certainly didn't think he would be able to handle it."

"But he did," Ominis said, taking another sip of tea and then setting the cup down on the table beside him. "And he seems to be doing alright, doesn't he?"

Sebastian shrugged. "Hard to say, really."

"Well, maybe you should ask him," Ominis suggested. "It might help clear the air between you two."

"I don't know if I'm ready for that conversation."

"Well, for what it's worth, he sat next to me in History of Magic this afternoon and he seems to be handling himself just fine."