An Unexpected Debut

C/N:

I like listening to music while writing, so I'll leave 3 songs that I mainly listened to when writing for each chapter summary.

1. Looks - Steve Lacy
2. WHAT A DAY - Tyler The Creator
3. Birds Don't SIng - TV Girl

Just some music you can listen to when you're reading!

Who knows, maybe you can find some new music while your at it?

All songs can be found on most platforms, knock yourself out.

————-

Upper East Side, New York: Monday, December 11th, 2023, 4:38 P.M.

Location: Walking down 79th Street

Although my morning schedule is something I follow every day, getting off track is something that always sprouts, and following distractions that aren't in my routine throws me off daily. I found myself ordering a roast of coffee after leaving my apartment and ordering a box of pastries for me and my publisher, which was technically not what I was supposed to do. Cut a thick amount out of my budget for the day, but it is worth it. Around noon, I went to the scheduled library; we agreed to meet and discuss important business matters on my new book that is undergoing processes of editing.

As a college student, my writing will never be perfect, and it probably never will. There is always room for improvement, like installations of vocabulary terms or researching ways to spice up an average sentence on the go. My editor Monica is a bit of a stickler when trying new things. Despite that, being persuasive comes in handy, making her agree with the ideas I plan on developing inside a paragraph or a chapter. There's something so nice about putting creativity to use and making a nice side salary when you're working another job. It can be draining as an extra set of deadlines come through, adding more to your day. Looking at it from another mindset may be a positive change since it adds to my schedule. Who knows.

The florist I was strolling to was in the Upper East Side of New York, a relatively nice area in New York. Nice isn't the fitting word; I would like to describe the area as opulent and affluent. Even with basic attire that you would find anyone wearing, I felt like I stuck out. I didn't like the rows of fashion brands near the clean sidewalk or this area's rather luxurious apartments. Perhaps if I were richer, but maybe in another universe.

Entering the shop that was screaming products of botany near the window display, an expected audio chime of a high-pitched beep went through the speakers. Security for every building in this area had this type of security, alerting the owner of the store that someone had dropped by. Of course, the cashier instantly bolted up from the book he was reading, looking delighted to see me around these parts.

"Ryl! What a treat to see you on this splendid day; what can I help you with? New house plants? A new date, perhaps?" He raised his eyebrows, self-satisfied, "anything you need relating to plants, I gotchu! Also, finish the book you gave me! It was highkey hella scary... had me on the edge of my barstool this morning."

After walking a few steps past the entrance, I spotted him carrying a copy of a book I published a few years ago named Oracle, giving it to a few locals I knew around New York. Although it wasn't a huge success, people still enjoyed reading it.

"You flatter me greatly Enzo," I say, smiling at him while rubbing my neck, "I particularly need new flowers for the winter season. Recommend anything? I don't need a specific color code, just something that sticks out and that looks amazing."

He nods, closing the book in his right hand while heading back to the back door where all his plants are displayed. Once he left, my admiration for this place grew strongly as I looked around. The building was rather airy and spacious, and for a two-story botany shop, it does everything it needs to do to make it feel like home. The first floor was mainly all set-ups and sample vases of bouquets and baskets of flowers.