He remained silent as a sign of respect. This man seemed to know more than he looks.

"Did he talk to you of it?"

"He wished to make an official document and he did discuss it before me, but most of the council did not agree with him,"

Well, back then, all the people were stern and judgemental. They possibly didn't wish to keep their pride aside by apologizing and making peace with the nation they fought. While my father reigned, people who served my grandfather were still active on the council.

"Nathaniel," I called him. He stepped closer to the table. "I wish to do what my father intended. We are going to make our peace with Sulfia,"

"I shall send a letter---"

"Not a letter," I interrupted and looked at him. "An envoy,"

There were many damn things I had to fix. Many people I had to apologize in the stead of my predecessors. This was going to be a long way.
.................................................................

We made our way back to the study after sending the man away carefully. I still had many things to consider and many decisions remained pending.

"Colton, Grey, Lynner, Cressel, and Blackford," Nathaniel chanted, trying to convince me once again.

"It is not happening," I gave him a firm look as I walked toward the open window. A small cluster of snow settled on the ledge.

"They have reasonable combat skills and a strong will to fight for you, Your Majesty!" he exclaimed. "I have seen each of them fight in the training yard. Raw potential like that must not be kept with no use,"

"This could be a suicide mission," I told him, dusting away the snow. He was now making me angry. "They have families. I can't risk it,"

He sighed but did not seem to give up. "If you wish to crush the devil's head, you must be just as daring and ruthless as him,"

I snapped my head toward his direction, quirking my eyebrow. "Are you asking me to be cruel?" he moved his head in surprise. "Are you asking me to send them, not caring for their well-being?"

"No, Your Majesty," he smiled. "This is because you can never be cruel to your people. I, out of all people, have seen what you felt. Whenever you hear that someone had hurt your people, it feels like a dagger to the flesh. Isn't that the reason why your people love you?"

I had to give his words a thought and couldn't say that I wasn't moved.

"Your devotion and wishing for the people is what makes you different than your enemy," Nathaniel moved a step forward and continued. "He sends his men and would not care if they die for him. His loyalty is one-sided. While you are here, be prepared to fight for your people. You will do anything to keep them safe. Trust me, these are not only my words but the words of others. You are our King and you are worth dying for,"

"Nathaniel..." I mumbled, trying not to get too emotional. "When did you manage to be this talented with words?"

"I have no clue either," he grinned before continuing. "All the men I mentioned, they talked to me. They wanted you to know how much grateful they are,"

"I could barely save all those families those scum locked up," I told him, glancing at the floor. "I couldn't protect them the first time,"

"But you did save them, am I right?" he replied as quickly as I ended my sentence. "You knew the location of those heinous men and yet, you first sorted to save their families. Any other man would simply raid the area, without a care to quench their anger. But you did not..."