Chapter 7: Under the Mistletoe

There's a strange tension in the air and it's been there for the past month in which you both have grown significantly closer, and it strangely enough feels good. Before you would have gone down in history as the woman with mania in her bones but today it feels comforting knowing that he's there and that's the strangest delight. You find comfort in Kita Shinsuke the man that tried to get you fired but also the very same man who saved you and held you. It's a contradiction in on itself that you know but you can't stop this feeling fluttering between you two.

Its electric and just feels right.

It's hard to explain it but for now you awe at the giant parcel before you, in two weeks' time Christmas will be here and it will mark three months since you've arrived here in Japan and started working for Kita. The contents of the box you know as follows from messages by your mother are presents from your friends and family and a letter from her which you tear open first under specific instructions by the sender.

It reads as follows.

Dear my sweet baby Y/n,

I am so proud of you, you have survived and thrived in your new home, but I do hope that you're eating well, and your hosts are treating you nicely.

Not much has happened since you departed but a few things have changed, firstly Mavis and her Husband Alex, are trying for a baby, I only know this because she left her phone here after visiting. So, I've been shopping for baby clothes, it's been so long since little Thomas that I don't know what to buy. Is neutral in at the moment? I don't know if Mavis care's all about that hoo-ha but it's better safer than sorry as your father would like to say.

Oh, I've just remembered there is some good news to tell you, but it wasn't really a shock to begin with as Faye just got inside her head and thought it would be, as you might know already, she came out as lesbian, and told us she has a girlfriend, Ivana. A very sweet girl and right up Faye's alley if you know what I mean, honestly, I think she was more surprised at the lack of reaction than anything. That girl has always liked toy soldiers and construction, the mere fact that she's a mechanic should have been a tell-tale sign that I knew. Any who they came around for dinner the other week, all excited about you and your travels, and I couldn't say much since you haven't said much. I know you said it's unlikely that we can talk everyday but please do pick up the phone that is it's intended use and not let it sit around like an ornament collecting dust.

Little Thomas has grown only slightly he wanted me to tell you that I don't particularly know why, he's such a strange boy. He's entered college now, he's all grown up and tells me 'I'm not your little boy anymore' like I know what that is supposed to me, and I do. It's horrifying knowing that he won't be following me around nor asking for pocket money (well he does do that occasionally now still). I just hope he uses protection as whilst I'm open to the idea of grandchildren now I'm certainly not ready for that boy to be a father and I can imagine neither is he.

Anyway, that is enough about me I figured since you weren't texting or calling me I should write you a letter and it's all very freeing you see but I do forget about not having that autocorrect tool or the delete button luckily for me I'm not a pubescent snowflake and wrote everything down before writing this final draft. Before I forget your father is well and doing fine, me and him are going on holiday in April to Tenerife for a week and I'm so very excited it's been years since we last went somewhere other than travelling a few miles down to the local spa. It's all very exciting.

Now tell me have you met anyone? Are the people nice? Is your host a strapping young man you can bring home to me or a woman as you know I don't care if you are in fact swinging for the same team like your sister. I just wish for your happiness and since your last relationship ended in shambles, I only wish that the next one brings you joy and stability because we both know that you like to go off the rails from time-to-time. This entire experience was just your impulsiveness, but I do hope you're having fun.