Chapter 6: Into the Storm

Start from the beginning

"I'm fine, I guess Shin-chan is surely not as stressed as he think he is." Your teasing tone doesn't go amiss as his dull eyes become slits; he fists his toothbrush like a child told to brush his teeth after eating his sweets.

But he doesn't blow a fuse merely takes a deep breath before returning to his sink, you know that he's a bit of a clean freak, everyone has their own little ticks with dealing with stress even you understand the importance to unwind. But from day one you've had to fight tooth and nail with him when it comes to doing your own laundry, quite frankly you believe he doesn't trust you with the washer. But time and time again you've found him sifting through the laundry pile as unfazed as a doctor opening someone up as he dissects his shirts from your panties. You've profusely told him not to do it but when has he ever listened to you?

There have been days where even you have found him massaging his arms or shoulders from a long tiring day, yet he still manages to make time for his routine deep clean. You've found him nose deep between the basin of the toilet and the tile floor scrubbing away like a man on a mission and that he was wearing his white kerchief keeping his hair out of his eyes. He was so completely lost in his head that you've contemplated flashing him but that would be as a traumatic experience as it would be for him as the thought is for you. Kita seeing any unfiltered parts of your body sends a creepy shiver down into regions you didn't know existed.

A gnawing excitement bubbles up your throat.

That's a sickening thought.

As Togashi is about to sit down a drilling tone reverberates off the walls and only then you realise it's a ringtone, that sort of ringtone is about fifty-years old. Kita seriously needs to update his house. There's a pause within the room and only after a hefty sigh from Togashi does he relinquish his rights to a morning brew as he heads off to the office down the hall. It's the one place you're not allowed to be in, well there hasn't been any sign or rule said by one of them but on the first day you came in it was the one room they didn't let you see.

Kita's and Togashi's office.

That's enough to tell you that not a lot of fun happens in there.

But now it's just the two of you alone within this room and the thought should be trifling but it's been a week since you caught him red-handed in the kitchen and you still don't know how you feel about that.

Getting up you walk over towards the cubby-corner or well where Kita keeps all his books, you find an old stereo and decide to plug it in at least there will be a buffer between you and him and this godforsaken tension. Switching it on the only station that it connects to must be the local village one-

"***- PATHWAY OF THE TYPHOON WILL HIT US- I REPEAT THE GOVERNMENT HAS ISSUED A WARNING THAT HYOGO IS WITHIN THE LINE OF DESTRUCTION-***" The radio then conks out dying on the famous last words of 'typhoon and destruction'.

Well, that explains why the days have been so shit recently there's a bloody storm on the way. The floorboards creak and you turn to find Togashi heaving as he wipes sweat from his brow.

"It was Kiki-chan she needs help with boarding up the school, everyone does." Wincing as you hear the anxiety in his voice.

Turning around you almost have a heart attack from the proximity that Kita stands next to you, bloody hell how did you not hear him coming? Noticing only now that he's removed his gloves and pinny and stands almost protectively over you. What the fuck, leaning away from him you shuffle a few steps to breathe and think more clearly.

You're used to storms, back home you would have thunderstorms and sometimes hear about flooding within the neighbouring counties but why does it feel too real here. As if you've just been dropped right out of your comfort zone into deep, deep water.