It surprised her how much seeing the old studio upset her. Waves of nostalgia knocked into her, nothing had moved or changed. Sure, new paintings had replaced the ones on the walls, the easels were new and were waiting for a new set of students to occupy them. Misty eyed, she looked back at Dumbledore, who had been silently watching.

"Why are we here?" she asked again.

"The studio has fallen into disrepair, and needs a willing artist to occupy it."

She felt her heart thud, "What about Professor Francis?"

"Retired in spring," Dumbledore said, ambling over to the desk, on the table, an envelope. He handed it to her.

In neat, familiar, scrawl, was her name.

"W-what?"

"Miss Bloom, Professor Francis and I both think you'd be perfect for the job."

Clara turned away, looking out the windows, observing the comforting view with a muddled mind. She had never considered teaching before, but the new possibility was more than intriguing. She loved making art and sharing it with other enthusiasts. She would still be able to work on commissions, and she'd be close to Remus. But there was one thought lingering over her. Clara wasn't stupid, after all, she knew it wasn't a simple offer.

She looked at her professor, really looked at him. Tried desperately to see beneath his wizened stare. "Do you really want me for this? Or do you want me here, to make sure I don't help Sirius?"

Dumbledore either expected the question or was good at hiding his surprise. Her accusation was heavy, and if he wanted, he could have her arrested for even suggesting she'd help the escaped convict.

"Miss Bloom," He moved to her side, taking the time to observe the black lake in the distance with a small grin, "I don't think anything in the world would stop you from helping him."

Clara was not as good at hiding her surprise, she openly gaped at him.

"So, will you take the job?" he asked, ignoring her stunned silence.

"If I say no, should I expect aurors to be following my every watch for the next month?"

Dumbledore chuckled, "I'm sure that is a possibility, though what the Ministry does, is not up to me. You should know that."

Clara sighed, there were more positives than negatives, worst-case scenario, she quits by Christmas.

"I'm in."

---

Clara mailed Remus immediately, telling him everything in the letter. Well, she might have skipped over the whole 'you can't stop me from helping Sirius' conversation, but that's not important. His response was eager and excited, they were both glad to be going on this adventure together. There was definitely something reassuring about it.

Because of the full moon, Remus would travel up with the students, but Clara moved in as soon as she could. She had big plans for the studio space, and she wanted to set up some exciting classes too. That, and she planned on befriending some of the other professors. She couldn't deny it, she was excited.

Her new living quarters were pleasant but felt lonely. She had to leave the Sirius painting at home. She couldn't risk him being in the castle, despite desperately needing him there. Despite the studio always having been her place, her thing. It felt so empty without him.

"You know I can't take you," she had sighed, pacing back and forward in her old bedroom, "I'd be in serious trouble if they found you."

"But I'll be all alone!" the painting whined, his arms crossed, "You can't just leave me."

"Sirius, please..."

"It's not fair, it's torture. I miss you during the day, let alone for weeks on end!"

Clara rolled her eyes, "I didn't know you were so clingy," she chuckled, "You're like a dog with attachment issues."

"I am a dog with attachment issues!" he whined again.

Clara laughed, which made his frown crack, he grinned and then chuckled too.

Then, they fell silent. "I can..." she didn't like the idea, but maybe it was best, "I can disenchant you."

"What?!"

"I don't want to!" she snapped quickly, "I just... maybe it's time?"

"You don't mean that!" his eyes filled with tears. She had to remind herself, again and again, he was a painting, the tears weren't his, they were just paint.

"Sirius, you know I love you."

"Will you ever enchant me again? Or..." he gulped, "Is this goodbye forever?"

"I don't know," she uttered through tears, "I can't promise anything... I..." She was beginning to have second thoughts, was this a good idea?

"I love you," Sirius spoke with fervour, "Whatever happens, with the real me," he choked, "Know that I love you. Don't forget that, darling."

Raising her wand, and looking through misty eyes, she felt her heart break all over again.

"I love you, Sirius," she whispered, before casting the counterspell.

Through sobs, she took the still frame off the wall, hiding it at the back of her closet, just in case. Then, trying to pull herself together, she made her way to Hogwarts, her new home for the foreseeable future.

By September 1st, she had completely revamped the studio, and it looked entirely different. The floor was covered in a mismatched array of rugs, there were new armchairs and sofas to relax on—there was something cathartic about putting chairs where her friends used to hang out, something joyful about knowing they'd have loved the new hangout spot.

She covered the walls with exciting, colourful artwork, and cleaned all the palettes and supplied new brushes and canvases. The teacher's desk, which used to be plain and boring, covered in books and lesson plans, was now covered in art supplies, and she had her own easel up, where she could paint and demonstrate enchantments.

Behind the desk, was a large cupboard, where she stocked all kinds of treats, biscuits, teas and hot chocolates. She planned on being prepared. She knew sometimes, kids had a tough time at school, and if they needed her comfort or access to her biscuit drawer, then she'd be that for them.

Clara had also spoken to a lot of the other teachers. Befriending the muggle studies teacher, whose classroom was a couple down from hers. She was also quite fond of the music teacher and enjoyed his demonstration of the frog choir. Truth be told, she enjoyed most of the other professor's presence, the only one she struggled with, was Severus Snape.