CHAPTER 44

Aurora focused on taking deep breaths, and tried to fix a smile on her face.

She could see that her mother and aunt were shocked, and seemed to be having a mental argument with each other. Aurora's opinion of her Aunt had changed drastically, and her respect for her had risen too.

She always knew there was more to her than the cheery facade, but had witnessed it for the first time.

And she was grateful.

She continued staring at her mother and aunt, seeing them shake their heads at some sort of conversation only they could hear

The other Queens were looking at each other disapprovingly too.

"Leave us, please," Elora called out to the servants who were still setting tables and adding the final touches to the Ballroom.

They rushed out.

"Are you sure that she's the one you want to rule after you, Elena?" Queen Annika asked.

Elena sighed. "She was such a good and cheerful person, even a few months before".

"I'm guessing it all changed when Ella's presence was announced to the world?" Queen Mei said, narrowing her eyes.

Elena nodded.

"She's a typical underdog. She's was probably used to seeing Aurora below her during the Selection. And didn't like it when Aurora was announced as the Princess," Elizabeth said.

"After all, she will be named a Queen, while Katherine would only always be a Queen consort," Queen Dhiya said.

"What do you mean?" Aurora asked, confused.

Elora sighed.

"Aurora, I was a princess even before I married Edward. Which made me a Queen. Same with Dhiya - she was a princess of Sri Lanka before she married the young King of Hindustan," she said.

"So if you're born into royalty and marry a King, you become a Queen," Aurora stated, looking at her mother who nodded. "But what about Queen Mei?".

"I was Queen Consort till my husband died. When the ministers tried to overthrow me, I politically defeated them, and crowned myself Queen," Mei said wearily. "Mine is not an example you want to rely on".

"Very few of us a truly Queens," Elena said, and the others nodded.

"Oh," Aurora said.

"Does Lucian know this sudden change with his betrothed?" Queen Elizabeth asked.

"He's noticed something is strange, but I think he's too busy to realized that something big is wrong," Elena said. "And I haven't told him because I still have hope that Katherine may become back normal".

"This is not good, Elena. The girl is to become the monarch of one of the Ten," Queen Annika warned, her silver hair glistening in the light of the baubles. "It does no good for her to be jealous of the future Queen of Illea".

"I agree," Queen Dhiya said. "Something has to be done about her quickly".

"I need alcohol," Elena mumbled, snatching the flask of eggnog and pouring into a mug.

And then added some more bourbon to it from a flask she pulled out of nowhere.

"What?" she said when she saw that everyone were staring at her. "Have a future daughter-in-law like Katherine, and you'll want to be drunk too".

The rest of them shrugged, and took some eggnog too.

Aurora stared at the discarded ring on the floor.