CHAPTER 14

Adelaide, Kate and Aurora stood in the seamstress' room for their dress fitting. The ball was just a day away, and the palace was in a flurry of festivity and activity.

Adelaide had surprisingly become a good friend to Kate and Aurora - they didn't mention how she used to call Aurora a 'Nine', nor was she mean to them.

It was nice having her around - her sarcasm balanced Kate's excited nature and Aurora's silent brooding quite well.

"Do you think we're prepared?" Adelaide asked anxiously.

The three of them stood on elevated platforms, and were surrounded by thin cotton cubicles, such that they could only see each other's faces.

"Relax, Addy. We'll be fine. We'll go practice once this is done," Aurora replied, trying to calm her down.

"Yeah, but what if the other girls are doing something like us as well?" Kate asked, sounding just as nervous as Adelaide.

Aurora attempted to turn to face them, but the seamstress snapped, "Don't move!".

Aurora sighed and said, "Kate. We've spent half our waking hours in the music room. Have you seen anyone besides us over there?".

"No, but-".

"Calm. Down. We'll be fine," Aurora said.

"Did you hear Prince Eric will be eliminating ten girls the day after the ball?" Adelaide asked, changing the topic.

"Ten?" Aurora asked.

"Yeah. He eliminated ten girls the day after we arrived. I mean, it's been quite a while, right?" Adelaide asked.

"Hopefully we aren't eliminated," Kate said, twirling for her seamstress.

"You won't," Aurora assured her. "You're the public favorite. Well, ever since you screamed at Adelaide in the airport, that is".

"Hey!" Adelaide protested.

"Chill, Addy. It was just a joke. And you won't be eliminated either. People still love you since you're you know... what was the name? A sexy vampire girl," Kate joked.

"Oh shut up!" Adelaide said, and the three of them started laughing.

"Don't laugh!" their seamstresses said in unison.

"Yes ma'am," they answered meekly.

"You look like hell, Aurora," Adelaide said, taking in her red eyes, and dark circles.

"Gee thanks," she said lightly, determined to not cry again. "Change topic please".

"I heard that we'll have an interview with Grigori in a few days," Kate said conversationally.

"Most probably after the elimination," Adelaide answered.

"I think I'm going to puke," Aurora said, feeling nauseous as she thought about how her previous interview went.

"Puke. Ah, my favorite word," a new voice said.

Kate and Adelaide straightened immediately. "Queen Elora".

But Aurora smiled and shook her head. "Queen Elena".

"Right again. How did you find out, Aurora? I'm not even wearing pink!" Elena said, sounding amused.

"I just know," Aurora said, laughing, while her friends looked at her curiously as she conversed casually with the Queen of Italy.

"Did you bribe my seamstress to find out what I was wearing?" Elena asked.

"Be thankful that Carina wasn't here to hear that, Your Majesty," Kate's seamstress called out.

"You're right," Elena said, almost sorrowfully "Carina would make me dress up in clothes as horrendous as the ones Elora wears if ever she heard me".