CHAPTER 9

I had a nagging feeling I should be remembering something. But I couldn't quite remember what. Well, to be honest, it was quite hard to think when there were pumpkin pasties, treacle tarts, sweets and lollies on the table and I wasn't necessarily trying to remember.

Seamus Finnigan was talking to Harry and I, and didn't fail to mention that Sirius Black has been sighted again.

"What?" said Hermione.

"Yeah, Sirius Black has been sighted in Dufftown."

"That's not too far from here!" cried Hermione.

Oh wait. Today was the day that..... I abruptly stood up from the table, startling Harry and Hermione who were next to me, and Ron, who was opposite me, stopped chewing. I looked over to the teacher's table to find Dumbledore staring at me and I bolted to the Gryffindor Dormitories.

Please tell me I am not too late. As I approached the entrance I saw scratch marks across the painting as flakes of paint and canvas littered the floor. Chunks of plaster were gouged out from the door and as I grazed my finger over the scrapes, I could feel the tiniest bit of wood. I turned around to find my friends and other Gryffindor students standing on the steps, eyes flicking between me and the door.

"Let me through, please," came Percy's voice, "Excuse me, I am Head Boy!"

I sighed and watched as he squeezed his way through and stopped in front of me, nudging me aside to see the entrance shredded.

"Get Professor Dumbledore," I said to Percy who was in complete and utter shock.

Percy then looked at the crowd of students that jammed the stairs and said, "Somebody call Professor Dumbledore, quick!"

"There will be no need for that," as students parted to let Dumbledore and McGonagall through. His gaze passed over me and landed on the ruined painting.

"We must find her," said Dumbledore, "Professor McGonagall, please go fetch Mr Filch at once and tell him to search every painting in the castle for the Fat Lady."

"You'll be lucky!" said a cackling voice. Peeves flew over the crowd whose eyes trailed his every moment, wary of the tricks he might play. But he wouldn't dare do it in front of Dumbledore. I was thankful that he hadn't pulled a prank on me. Well, not yet anyway.

"What do you mean, Peeves?" said Dumbledore calmly.

"Ashamed. Doesn't want to be seen. A horrible mess she is. Saw her running through the landscape, up on the fourth floor, dodging trees. Crying something dreadful."

"Did she say who did it?" asked Dumbledore quietly.

"He got very frustrated when she wouldn't let him in. Nasty temper he's got, Sirius Black." yelled Peeves before soaring away to probably harass some poor student.

Professor Dumbledore immediately sent all the Gryffindors to the Great Hall.

"How did you know?" asked Hermione.

"Know what?" I replied as we sat and waited for the teachers to return.

"How did you know there was something wrong? I mean you rushed to the dorms only to find ... that."

Oh, time to lie. "Well, as I was eating, I thought that maybe, it was that time of the month. You know that feeling right? So I rushed to the dorms to find my sanitary products, and saw what had happened."

"Are you alright now?"

"I'm fine. It was a false alarm." I responded, waving her off.

"Well thank goodness you didn't encounter Sirius Black. Who knows what might've happened?"