Chapter 5 - Birthday (Pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

My mind raced, desperately searching for the missing piece of the puzzle. And then, like a sudden surge of electricity, it hit me. Birthday. Italy. It was the twenty-ninth in Sampieri. I had fled on the thirtieth. And I had just woken up. The thirty-first. It was my birthday.

"The penny drops," Cole chuckled softly, his amusement contagious. "Happy birthday, sis," he whispered, his voice brimming with warmth. "Now stay quiet."

Enveloped in the security of the blanket, I surrendered to being whisked away, as the world outside faded into a blur of darkness. Cole guided me with care, leading me to the waiting car. Through the windshield, I caught a glimpse of Xander in the driver's seat, his expression veiled by indifference, though the tension in his muscles betrayed his disapproval of this impromptu escapade.

Cole settled beside me, securing my seatbelt, considering my limbs were rendered immobile by the blanket.

The engine roared to life, its growl punctuating the silence of the early morning.

"So... does someone want to fill me in on what's going on?" I finally broke the silence, my curiosity getting the better of me.

"You didn't tell her?" Xander interjected, his hand resting on the passenger seat head-rest as he reversed the car out of the gravel driveway.

"Well then it wouldn't be a surprise, would it?"

"You kidnapped me," I pointed out matter-of-factly.

"Smooth move, genius," Xander remarked, while the car approached a large, imposing black gate. He positioned the vehicle at the entrance, peering into a camera. Within seconds, the gate swung open.

"Whoa," I exclaimed involuntarily, meeting Xander's gaze through the rearview mirror, his raised eyebrow questioning my exclamation. "I didn't realize you guys lived in a spy movie!"

Cole's arm enveloped my shoulders, pulling me closer to his side. "You're a cutie," he teased, his voice brimming with affection.

In a matter of moments, we escaped the clutches of the imposing security fortress and found ourselves on a tranquil country lane. A sleek black car awaited just beyond the gate, and Xander pulled up beside it. The driver's window rolled down, revealing a man dressed in a dark suit, mirroring Xander's actions.

"Can I assume this is all cleared with the boss?" the man inquired, his voice laden with a hint of authority.

"Yup, cleared with Mason," Cole replied, flashing the man a grin from the backseat.

The man's gaze shifted, landing on me. Recognition danced in his eyes as he spoke, a knowing smile gracing his lips. "Ah, I see. Welcome home, Maddie."

A blush crept up my cheeks, and my words stumbled out, my voice betraying my nervousness. "Oh, um, thank you. Uh, do I know you? I mean, have we met before? I'm sorry, I don't remember your name."

Why was it that I always stumbled awkwardly through conversations?

"Jackson," he answered. "I used to babysit a brown-haired, brown-eyed toddler named Maddie about ten years ago," he revealed, casting me a playful smile.

"Oh, well, um, it's nice to see you again, Jackson," I managed to reply.

Coherent sentences were a struggle for me even in normal circumstances, let alone in the early hours of the morning when talking to a friendly stranger who apparently used to babysit a younger version of myself that I couldn't remember. Just breathe, Maddie.

His smile broadened. "Likewise," he said, lowering his gaze slightly to my attire. "Sweet pajamas, by the way."

Fortunately, Xander pulled away, and we left before I could embarrass myself any further.