Chapter 18

"Yeah." we all mumble in response 

          "We're not goons. We're not bullies, No matter what people say or do, we have to be ourselves. You." He pointed to Dean. "Who are you." 

         "Dean Portman." 

          "From where?" 

          "Chicago Illinois." 

           "You" 

           "Guy Germaine" 

           "From where" 

           "From St. Paul Minnesota." 

           "You" 

           "Jesse Hall from Minneapolis Minnesota." 

           "You" 

           "Emery Westluck. Tulsa, Oklahoma" 

            "Who are you?" 

           "Julie Gaffney from Bangor Maine" 

\          Coach pointed to each of us. 

        "Luis Mendoza. Miami, Florida" 

       "Greg Goldberg. Philadelphia Pennsylvania." 

        We all started standing up as he called on or as our friends/the person next to us was called on. 

         "Les Averman, Brooklyn Park, Minnesota." 

        "Fulton Reed Stillwater, Minnesota" 

        "That's Right!" Dean said hitting Fulton's shoulder with the side of his fist as we stood with him.

          "Russ Tyler, South Central, Los Angeles" 

          "Charlie Conway. Minneapolis, Minnesota" 

         "Ken Wu, San Francisco, California." 

        "Connie Moreau, Minneapolis, Minnesota."

        "Adam Banks, Edina, Minnesota." 

        "Dwayne Robertson, Austin Texas."

         "Michele Mackay, Duluth Minnesota." 

         "And I'm Gordon Bombay, Minneapolis Minnesota" 

         We all cheered together. 

         "We're Team USA, gathered from all across America, and we're gonna stick together. You know why?" 

          "Because we are Ducks." Jan stated "And ducks fly together." 

           "That's right Jan. And just when you think they are about to break apart..." 

           "DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!" 

          "And when the wind blows hard, and the sky is black." 

         "DUCKS FLY TOGETHER"

          "When the roosters are cowing are spinning  circles in the pasture..." 

         There was a small silence of confusion. Dean gave Fulton the funniest "i don't know" face I've ever seen, making me chuckle a little. 

         "Um, Okay" 

          Pfft, even Coach was confused on that one. 

         "DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!" 

         "And when everyone says it can't be done." 

        "DUCKS FLY TOGETHER!"

         "Now, new ducks, and old ducks must unite under a new banner. And I thought perhaps, something like this." Jan said giving us our new jerseys. The jerseys were white with four diagonal stripes, dark purple, white, grey, and teal. The symbol was an old style goalie mask with a duck bill, with crossing hockey sticks behind it and a circle around that and a triangle behind that. It was badass in my opinion. We skated out for the last period of the game, wearing our new jerseys. When we did our chant, it was .... let's just say interesting. 

            "Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! Quack! GOOOO DUCKS!" 

           We had so many people chanting "Quack" with us that for a second it felt like the entire arena was yelling  "quack". It was insane. When the crowd sung "We Will Rock You" instead of saying rock, they said quack. I found it pretty funny that they did that. When the third quarter started Averman knocked down and won the puck. We had the puck in the Iceland zone, and Averman passed it to Kenny, Kenny to Guy, Guy to Connie and Connie scored the goal. The score was 4-2, if we get 3 more and stop the Iceland team from scoring anymore goals, we might be able to win this. One of the Iceland guys tried to score and Goldberg made a diving save. Thank god. Averman had the puck, however Iceland took the puck, with Gunnar scoring on us. Charlie had set up a play for us and the play was even confusing me, even thought I had been looking over Charlie's shoulder on the bench the entire time. 

          "Okay ducks, take a look here." Coach stated 

           "Charlie, what are we trying to do here. This isn't the NBA." 

           "But it's the perfect teamwork play." Charlie explained

           I was now on the ice with the guys. Banks was skating up the ice with the puck, passed it back to Dwayne who shot/flipped the puck into the air.

           "Alley oop boys." 

           Banks went to shoot the puck into the net but tripped, yet the puck ended up going in either way. 

           "YEAH!" 

            "Yeah man! That's what I'm talking about!" I shouted. 

             Time was running out in the last period and we were still down by two points. Luis on a breakaway had taken the puck into the Iceland zone. The speedster managed to stop right Infront of the Iceland goal. 

             "I stopped!" I heard him say shocked 

              "Shoot it!" I shouted. 

               "Put it in Luis!" Coach yelled 

                Almost immediately Luis scored. One more point, that's it. That's all we need to get into overtime and hopefully beat Iceland. Coach sent out Russ with two minutes left and immediately the Iceland guys were after him. Fulton had practically tackled one of the Iceland guys. Coach called  for a timeout, he called us all in and told us we'd be doing the flying V, and that Russ and Goldberg were to switch jerseys real quick, while we were still huddled. We stayed in our own zone for a little, until coach yelled for the play. 

                 "Alright Guy Now!" 

                 Guy passed it to Luis who went behind the net. We skated up the ice and Luis dropped the puck back to Russ who was dressed as Goldberg. Russ set up the knuckle puck. We stood there watching the puck fly through the air like it was a Hail Mary, but in hockey, all pf us hoping it would go in the goal. He scored! The goalie missed the puck and Russ's shot was on point. The hard to be accurate Knuckle Puck from Russ Tyler got us our championship game tying shot. 

                "Yeah! Yeah! Russ cheered. 

                We were all cheering. Russ scored and there was no time left on the clock. All of our teammates who were on the bench skated out onto the ice and we all celebrated on the ice. We might've only tied but we have a good chance now.