Khione wrinkled her nose. "Messy business, killing you in my father's house, especially when he insists on meeting all visitors. I did try, you remember. It would've been lovely if he'd agreed to turn you to ice. But once he'd given you guarantee of safe passage, I couldn't openly disobey him. My father is an old fool. He lives in fear of Zeus and Aeolus, but he's still powerful. Soon enough, when my new masters have awakened, I will depose Boreas and take the throne of the North Wind, but not just yet. Besides, my father did have a point. Your quest was suicidal. I fully expected you to fail. "

"And to help us with that," Leo said, "you knocked our dragon out of the sky over Detroit. Those frozen wires in his head—that was your fault. You're gonna pay for that. "

"You're also the one who kept Enceladus informed about us," Piper added.

Freya hefted her sword. "We've been plagued by snowstorms the whole trip. It was you. "

"Yes, I feel so close to all of you now!" Khione said. "Once you made it past Omaha, I decided to asked Lycaon to track you down so Jason could die here, at the Wolf House. " Khione smiled at him. "You see, Jason, your blood spilled on this sacred ground will taint it for generations. Your demigod brethren will be outraged, especially when they find the bodies of these three from Camp Half-Blood. They'll believe the Greeks have conspired with giants. It will be ... delicious. " 

Freya's blood ran cold. 

Now it all made sense. 

Even Hera's twisted and fucked up plan- it was coming together. 

Your demigod brethren will be outraged, 

But Khione wasn't talking about camp half- blood. She was talking about other demigods, demigods who were like Jason. Freya felt like the world was twisting, like none of it made sense. But she couldn't deny what was inevitable any longer. There had to be more demigods like Jason. And that had been the plan all along. If there were more Romans, then Hera was trying to unite them with the Greeks so that they could all face down Gaea together. In retaliation, the earth goddess was trying to split them apart so they'd be weaker. And if she managed to...If the Romans showed up and found Jason dead along with Piper, Leo and Freya...Camp Half-Blood would have to face down another enemy besides Gaea. 

Piper and Leo didn't seem to understand what she was saying. But Freya turned to look at Jason at the same time he turned to look at her. The understanding passed between them like a crackle of electricity. She knew he was remembering. Knew he was realising why exactly everything was happening, and why Khione's plan was so deadly and efficient. 

"You'll set demigods against demigods," he said.

"It's so easy!" said Khione. "As I told you, I only encourage what you would do anyway. "

"But why?" Piper spread her hands. "Khione, you'll tear the world apart. The giants will destroy everything. You don't want that. Call off your monsters. "

Khione hesitated, then laughed. "Your persuasive powers are improving, girl. But I am a goddess. You can't charm-speak me. We wind gods are creatures of chaos! I'll overthrow Aeolus and let the storms run free. If we destroy the mortal world, all the better! They never honored me, even in Greek times. Humans and their talk of global warming. Pah! I'll cool them down quickly enough. When we retake the ancient places, I will cover the Acropolis in snow. "

"The ancient places. " Leo's eyes widened. "That's what Enceladus meant about destroy the roots of the gods. He meant Greece. "

"You could join me, son of Hephaestus," Khione said. "I know you find me beautiful. It would be enough for my plan if these other three were to die. Reject that ridiculous destiny the Fates have given you. Live and be my champion, instead. Your skills would be quite useful. "