Act I - Catalyst Revolt Part 10

SHATTERED REALITY

          "SO BEAUTIFUL!" Yelled Gustavo, as his manic laughter and applause, filled the air. Reacting quickly, I lunged towards Miles and caught him just as he collapsed to his knees, trying to shield him from the hail of gunshots raining down on us. We scrambled off the stage and huddled behind the ice shield that Miles had created earlier.

As we stumbled towards safety, the people trapped in the frozen ground struggled to break free, their flesh tearing off in the process. It was a gruesome sight, but I couldn't look away from Miles, who was gasping for air. The bullet had gone straight through his chest and blood was pouring out. Time was running out. Once we reached the ice shield, I carefully placed Miles on my lap and tried to assess his injuries.

"Don't go, Miles, we're in the finale!" Gustavo taunted. "I thought about taking your powers for myself, but this is so much more fun. A classic tragedy where the hero is killed by his lover!"

I frantically searched for anything to stop the bleeding, but I was so terrified that my hands shook uncontrollably, even the pain in my right hand was numb due to the fear and panic that consumed me. How had I ended up here? Instead of cozy nights watching movies with my sister, I was now in a living nightmare.

Suddenly, I noticed Miles trying to speak. His voice was barely audible, but I strained to hear what he was saying. "...got to..." Miles struggled to speak, but I couldn't understand what he was trying to say.

"Don't speak, Miles. I'll think of something. Just hang on a little longer, okay?" I begged, looking around at the dancers who were now swaying towards us, their movements becoming more erratic and frenzied.

Then Miles grabbed my hand with desperate strength and pressed something cold and hard into my palm. It was a small piece of ice, but its sharpness was noticeable, and I didn't understand its purpose. "You...got to... kill me..." he murmured, his voice growing weaker.

I stared at Miles, a mixture of fear and disbelief on my face. "What are you asking me to do?" I whispered, barely able to get the words out. "I can't do that! I couldn't barely point a gun at Gustavo!"

Miles coughed up more blood, his eyes wild with desperation. "You... have... to, there's... no time... to explain," he said, his voice barely above a whisper. "Take my power!" I could see the effort it took for him to speak.
I felt a wave of nausea wash over me. This couldn't be happening. Just a few days ago, I was a regular guy, playing video games and hanging out with my friends. Now I was being asked to make a life-or-death decision.

Miles' eyes bore into mine, as he coughed up more blood and I could see the desperation in his gaze. "You have... to," he said. "I... failed. This... is your time... be someone. If you want to stay a nobody... then use it... on yourself."

His words struck a chord deep within me. I had always felt like a nobody, someone who didn't matter in the grand scheme of things. But if I could do this, if I could save everyone, maybe I could finally be someone.
I opened my eyes and looked at Miles, my resolve hardening. Miles nodded, a small smile playing on his lips. "Make it your own." he whispered.

I didn't want to do it but I forced myself to push through that barrier, to ignore everything I believed. I felt all of my feelings scorching through my body, my head screaming at me as I drove the sharp ice through Miles' flesh and into his heart. The sound of his agonizing screams echoed in my ears. His last glimmer of life was left with a small smile.

Regret and despair overwhelmed me as I looked at Miles' lifeless body. What have I done? Why did he have to die? Did this make me stronger? I couldn't comprehend how ending the life of someone I cared for could have possibly done that! Tears streamed down my face as I looked at the horde of mindless dancers that now look like zombies, with their flesh torn apart and the black goo coming out of their mouths and eyes, as they struggled to reach me. I am trapped, helpless, and doomed to die.