Trey's Story - Chapter 8 (College Life)

CHAPTER 8 - COLLEGE LIFE

The day after we crossed, we had a probate show on the yard. People lined up on campus in the middle of the day and waited for our arrival. We were in the building looking down at them and could see hundreds of students all on the block. The music was blasting and people were having a great time. I knew that I was not going to make any of my afternoon classes, and for a while that was the story more often than not.

The probate show was supposed to start at 12:15pm. We, of course, were going to be fashionably late to make a grand entrance. By 12:30, we started our way out the building walking towards the block.

We dressed to impress. Each of us had on off white tuxedo pants, that were perfectly tailored for each of us. The pants had one red stripe down the pants leg, accenting the white pants which made them pop.

Our white colored tuxedo shirts perfectly fit with the top two buttons open exposing the red ascot, that made us look like something straight out of a GQ magazine. We all had on custom cufflinks that had the Greek letters representing Gamma Nu.

We also had on a $500 custom-made red blazer that we each had to raise money for to purchase. That blazer clung to every contour of our bodies; Think, superhero outfit.

We walked down the stairs toward the block in those red Christian Louboutin suede shoes that matched the color of the jacket almost like it was cut from the same piece of material. We walked down the stairs and around the corner. The closer we got, we heard the music. It grew louder and louder the closer we got to the door. Once we reached the door, in a perfect line, shortest to tallest, we focused on giving the yard the show of their lives.

Our white masks covered our faces to hide them from the people for as long as possible. The white masks had red faces printed on them. The mask made the entire outfit go from great to downright unreal.

As we looked out the door, we could see all of the people lined up. And then the door opened. The screams came from all of the ladies awaiting our arrival. The yard exploded with chants from the Gamma brothers already outside.

There were several decades of brothers on the yard ready to celebrate our "Coming Out" to campus. There were brothers from almost every school in the state but we were center stage for the whole world.

Al took the first step out of the door. And what we thought was loud, became even louder. I heard women scream my name, "Trey!!!"...." We love you, Trey!

I felt like a movie star walking through a crowd for a movie debut. As we walked toward the crowd, it became harder and harder with each step to maintain my composure. I wanted to stop and take in the moment, because I didn't know if I would ever experience something like this or have people that excited to see me ever again.

We marched through the crowd to our marks and once we reached our spot, the music stopped and the cheers and chants got even louder. Brother Lorenzo grabbed the mic and got the crowd whipped into a frenzy.

Then the bass dropped and we started our routine. I was not much of a dancer, but I could follow directions and Rickey was a real showman, so all the eyes were on him anyway. We nailed our routine. At least it felt that way to me, and as excited as the crowd was, we could have been awful and they would have screamed anyway.

Then there was a pause in the routine. Lorenzo on the mic said, "Ladies and gentlemen, we introduce you to "Nu Perfections", the newest members of Gamma Nu.

"From Huntsville, the number one. We call him, "The Brain". All the brains with the swag to match", as he went on with his introduction of Al. When he finally announced Al's name, Al removed his mask and stepped out toward the crowd. The ladies screamed and the brothers ran up, high fiving and grabbing him.