6: Belobog's Overworld

Entering the city of Belobog was the Express' Trio and a couple of Silvermane Guards. They were all led by the captain known as Gepard and couldn't help but relax slightly under the warmer temperature once entering the city. This is where the last civilisation of mankind on this planet reside. Shirou and his two companions listened to Gepard as the captain spoke about Belobog's history.

"Seven hundred years ago, monsters from beyond the sky set the world ablaze. The land was turned to scorched earth, with raging infernos and billowing towers of smoke stretching beyond the horizon. In the midst of the conflict, the Eternal Freeze descended without warning. Suddenly, sweeping winds brought blizzards which buried the invading Legion. Belobog was all that remained. The steadfast Architects built this city. Under the protection of Qlipoth the Preservation, Belobog remains forever warm in the face of unrelenting cold."

"...He's sure saying some weird stuff." March whispers to the two males next to her.

"A marked change in tone. It sounds like he's quoting from a historical record." Dan Heng shares his opinion.

"If this has happened 700 hundred years ago, it's only natural he would've learnt it from a book or something." Shirou says.

"Uh-huh, I understand that... So why is the telling us all this?" March questions.

"You wanted to know." Gepard answers, causing March to freeze in place.

The pink haired girl laughs nervously, as she was caught whispering but wasn't exactly discreet. Shirou rubs the back of his head with an apologetic smile and Dan Heng merely crosses his arms and closes his eyes with a sigh. Continuing their walk, Dan Heng asks;

"We saw strange creatures outside the city... They must have come from a tear in corroded space. A Fragmentum, correct?"

"How do you..." Gepard was slightly shocked when Dan Heng asked that, but remembered them being from beyond the sky. "That's right. Out there in the blizzard, there are still many threats... including the monsters you saw. The Silvermane Guards are continuously engaged with the enemy, but l'm afraid the situation is bleak... After your meeting with the supreme guardian, I would like to consult you on this matter. *sigh* We're lacking in intel."

"It's impressive you guys have held on this long. And it doesn't seem like the worst of the worst has come yet." Shirou says, looking at a few kids enjoying their sweets.

"Thank you... But what do you mean 'worst of the worst'?" Gepard thanks but questions Shirou's last words at the same time.

"I'm just glad you guys haven't caused children to lose out on their childhood and forcing them to grow up, fighting and training to engage in combat against the Fragmentum monsters." Shirou explains with a smile.

"None of the previous nor the current Supreme Guardians have ever given it a thought. The people here have chosen to join out of their own obligations." Gepard says, understanding where Shirou was coming from. "But to be honest..." The trailblazers look to Gepard in question, but he shakes his head. "Forget about it. We're already here."

"It's big..." March mutters.

"This is Qlipoth Fort, the heart of Belobog and headquarters of the Architects."

"Why name it Qlipoth Fort?" Shirou asks.

"Qlipoth is the symbol of Preservation. Under Qlipoth's impulsion, the Architects constructed Belobog, thus protecting the spark of civilization from disaster and the Eternal Freeze. To show our reverence, we named this fortress after the Aeon themself. The Architects, under the protection of Qlipoth, have continued to lead this city forward, repelling all manner of disasters." Gepard says, causing Shirou to smile. Shirou was happy that there are some good Aeons out there without the intent of causing destruction and mayhem. "This fortress is also the residence of the supreme guardian."