𝐄𝐗𝐓𝐑𝐀 𝐃𝐄𝐓𝐀𝐈𝐋𝐒

《 ❦ 》

𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞

𝐚𝐥𝐭𝐡𝐨𝐮𝐠𝐡 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐚𝐫 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐡𝐚𝐫𝐬𝐡, 𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐰𝐞𝐫𝐞 𝐬𝐨𝐦𝐞 𝐞𝐥𝐞𝐦𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐬 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐦𝐚𝐝𝐞 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐚𝐧 𝐠𝐢𝐫𝐥 𝐭𝐡𝐚𝐧𝐤𝐟𝐮𝐥 𝐟𝐨𝐫 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐞𝐱𝐩𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐜𝐞. yes, it made her miserable and she went to hell and back but if she could back in time to feel their touch, hear their laughter or voice one more time, she would without hesitation.

I. NIGHTLY ENTERTAINMENT
there were some moments where they needed the light within the darkness. so, one late summers night, the girls decided to have some fun, which ended up with them stealing both alcohol and biscuits from the army captains and leaders from all allied sides. this led to a messy and drunken night, in which the girls stayed up late in the dens, mocking the tyrannical world leaders, pretending that they were middle-aged men that only thought for themselves. although, the hangover from the large amount of alcohol consumption and stomach ache from the many packets of biscuits the following day was deadly, it was a moment of happiness within the death and disturbing nature of the war.

II. COMFORT
one thing that olga and kat had in-common was the grief of losing a child. that morning, the same morning in which kat was killed, while paul and angelica cuddled up to each other for warmth, softly sleeping, olga and kat found comfort within each other over their losses. they spoke until their jaws stung with the constant movement and tears filled their eyes as they recalled the ever-most painful memories of their last moments as parents. the two adults had only met the night before, but that one hour before the two teenagers awoke, was the biggest amount of comfort either one had gained in a long time.

III. PROTECTION
it's always important to remember that men can be scary and disrespectful, especially if they are hungry, traumatised and tired. the russian girl didn't know how the conflict even started, but it ended up with the man, who was no older than twenty-five, with a broken, bloody and crooked nose and olga with bloody knuckles along with a frown on her face. it had also happened when she wasn't present, but, one day, when she returned to the western camp, she found paul with a small bruise growing on his jaw with the addition of sore knuckles. from what she knew, she was a topic of conversation within quite a few german and italian soldiers, and they said some things that not even paul or any of the other boys wished to repeat when asked. it was always nice to have the knowledge of that you're being defended, even when your not around.

IV. LOVE
angelica aleksandrovich had always adored physical touch and words of affirmation, so it was destined for her to meet paul baümer, who treasured the exact same languages. the two shared these small bonds throughout their short time together, and even though paul was a naturally attractive boy, it was still a surprise when it was told that angelica was his first kiss. sure he had girl being interested in him in the past, but none had he ever being romantically physical with, (never more than holding hands or hugs). it was a small idea that angelica held onto, that she got to share something so small yet so important and intimate with the german boy who held a special place in her heart.

V. FORGOTTEN ENCOUNTERS
being a nurse meant that angelica was here-there-and-everywhere, meaning that she met a lot of faces in a short amount of time, many in which she would never see again. but that is not always the case, as she did see one face once more. in mid 1918, on the eastern front, a young british man, most likely the same age as paul, was sent to the nurse ward with a broken wrist and dislocated shoulder, and angelica was the one to sort him out. little did either of them know, the two would reunite later on in life, in 1922, in a bar. the newly weds would not realise this occurrence until many years later, when the husband was sharing pictures of his time fighting in the war, in which his wife recognised the man in the pictures as the man she helped many years prior.

VI. SEE YOU AGAIN
as much as anyone can argue, angelica's marriage was a healthy and happy one, one which she felt safe and secure in. after her death, her husband passed on not long after, joining his long-term partner in the afterlife in the spring of 1969. as for their children, their daughter passed away in 1994 while there son did in 2002. angelica became a grandmother of six, her son having four, (an eldest boy with three younger girls), while her daughter had two, (an older girl with a younger boy). the family line was strong and secure for many generations to come, with the family being together sooner-or-later.

paul and angelica did see each again, as did olga and angelica. even though they had to wait a long time, the moment they saw each other in the afterlife would have put thousands of unanswered questions and saddened memories to rest.

《 ❦ 》

𝐀𝐔𝐓𝐇𝐎𝐑'𝐒 𝐍𝐎𝐓𝐄!
— some details of my babies! hope you enjoyed this book!
« 891 words »