𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐓𝐰𝐨

Start from the beginning

"Hello, Giada. How are you doing today?" 

How do you think? She thought scornfully. The doctor began rolling up her sleeve, causing Giada to shiver at the aspect of the woman's cold fingertips coming into contact with her skin. She was definitely touch deprived. Giada still slightly felt the tingle where Janson's hands had been. But the only reason he touched her was to prevent Giada from walking any further, right?

"I feel a lot cleaner," She admitted softly, and the doctor let out a hum of acknowledgement. Her ocean blue eyes trailed down over to the obvious shots the woman was preparing. "What are those for?"

"These are just shots that'll replenish the nutrients you didn't receive while you were in the maze," The doctor explained kindly, her eyes connecting with Giada's like magnets.  "You don't have a problem with that, huh?"

She shook her head slowly. It was not like she had any other options. The doctor proceeded to rub one of the alcohol wipes onto the spot on Giada's arm where she'd do the interjection. Giada fought the overbearing urge to make a comment on how cold it felt against her skin. 

"What's your name?" She asked, trying to start a basic conversation. 

The doctor seemed a little taken aback by the question, but she quickly overcame it. "Lillian."

"That's a pretty name," Giada complemented her. "I would tell you my name, but it seems you already know it."

"Yeah, the boss told us all of your names," She stated. Giada was confused. How the hell did Janson know her name or any of theirs for the matter? "Now take a deep breath."

Giada took the doctors advice and inhaled a sharp breath. She turned her head right in the opposite direction, unable to watch as Lillian stuck the needle into her skin. She'd never have the courage to watch something like that without yanking her arm away. The prick of the needle made Giada snap her eyes shut, but it was over as quickly as it begun.

"You did perfectly," Lillian encouraged her once she was done. "The other day I had a kid try to bite me. We had to sedate him."

"Damn," Giada shook her head, knowing deep down that it's wrong to even think of laughing. Hearing that only reminded the woman about how some of the children back in the Glade used to act. The moment something didn't go their way; they'd freak out and rebel. Sometimes they would even run out into the maze as retribution. (They never came back.) 

She'd been so lost in her own mind and thoughts that Giada hadn't even registered one of the guards approaching her. He stared down at the woman for a long moment without speaking, it's almost as if he couldn't believe what he was seeing. Only when Giada finally noticed the guard standing there, she blinked up at him innocently. 

"Do you need something?"

"I just need you to come with me," He told her shyly, a tiny blush appearing on his cheeks. Giada started batting her eyelashes in annoyance. Why does someone always seem to need her for something? "Janson wants to ask you a few questions."

Now, consider Giada interested. The scowl on her face was rapidly replaced with curiosity. 

"About what?" She inquired calmly.

"You'll find out when you get there," The guard responded as Giada shot Lillian a look. 

"Just when I thought I was getting away from the male specimen for awhile-" Lillian genuinely let out a laugh at her comment.