"Alright, come on! Let's get going! You don't want to be late!" Andrea said, opening the door.

She shrieked slightly, and fell on the doorframe.

"What is it, Andrea? What happened?" Aurora said, as she and Kate rushed to her.

She stumbled, falling on Andrea. 

For the first time in her life, Kate too seemed speechless.

She suddenly gathered her wits, pulled Aurora and banged the next door.

"Adelaide!" she shouted.

Other competitors poked their heads out, opening their doors after hearing the commotion.

"What is it?" Adelaide said, opening the door as she pinned a stray curl back into its place.

Kate pointed to Aurora's room's door - where a large number - a Nine - was painted in fluorescent yellow color. Aurora flinched as Kate's grip on her hand grew tighter.

She was sure it would bruise.

Adelaide looked shocked. Her mouth fell open.

"I swear I didn't do it," she said, coming to stand in front of the door, her fingers trailing on the dry paint.

"Wow," Kate sneered. "You really are a great actress".

"I promise, I didn't do it," Adelaide insisted, shaking her beautiful head.

"No one else has called me Nine other than you, Adelaide," Aurora said, her voice surprisingly steady. "You may not be too fond of me, but at least have some courtesy to not be so... vile to a person from the same state as you".

"I have better things to do than vandalize royal property, Clarkson. Do you realize that my interview takes place in a few hours? Why on earth would I try and ruin my chances now?" Adelaide asked, raising her voice. "The audio footage from my room, and the video footage of this corridor can be reviewed. It'll be clear then, that I had nothing to do with it".

She made some very good points.

"What is going on?" a new voice asked. 

The crowd of mentors and competitors and maids parted to reveal Prince Eric, in all his royal glory standing with evident rage on his face.

"Nothing, Your Highness," Aurora said, curtsying quickly. 

Adelaide seemed genuine as she spoke - it couldn't have been her who had done it.

And Aurora wasn't one to rat people out. 

Kate opened her mouth to speak, but Aurora shook her head at her.

Prince Eric's eyes trailed to the door before he barked orders to the guard, "I want this door replaced before Lady Aurora returns after breakfast".

"Thank you," Aurora told the Prince, who looked at her in surprise.

He nodded, and walked away.

Aurora finally tugged her hand away from Kate. Her wrist was bruised blue now.

She sighed.

Kate noticed and began apologizing, "Oh my God! I'm so sorry. I'm so so so sorry. I didn't mean to, I swear-".

Aurora raised a hand, silencing her. "Come. Let's go for breakfast. I'm starving".

Kate threw one last dirty look to Adelaide and walked away, her hand looped with Aurora's.

They were late when they arrived at the dining hall, despite being the first of the Selected to be there. The royal family were already seated, and were being served food by servants.