"You are friends with homeless people?" Grigori asked, leaning forward curiously.

"I work at a restaurant part time, and usually pack the leftovers and give it to the people who need them. Aiden is just one of those," Aurora said, feeling very uncomfortable as she saw the people in the audience mutter to each other.

Grigori stared at the cards on his hand, thinking hard on what to ask next.

That was not good.

Grigori never stopped - he was always in his A game. 

Had Aurora's reply unnerved him? Was it sort of outlandish?

"What is the one value you most believe in?" a new voice asked.

Aurora turned, and saw that it was the Queen who had spoken.

The Queen who had not spoken a word to any of the other Selected.

Her expression was neutral, and her head was slightly tilted as she scrutinized Aurora.

Aurora met her piercing gaze and answered, "Generosity".

"Of money?" she asked, her gloved hands placed elegantly on her dark blue dress.

"Heavens, no," she said, laughing slightly. "I don't have the wealth to donate to charitable organizations. What I meant by generosity was that of kindness. Generosity of affection. Generosity of Prayer. It doesn't take much of our time or resources, but it can make a difference in the life of others".

"Have you done any such deeds of generosity today, Lady Aurora?" the Queen asked, almost mockingly.

Aurora reminded herself that it was Royalty she was talking to. 

No snapping, Aurora.

"Maybe, maybe not," she answered, forcing a polite smile on her face. 

The Queen stared at her for a while, and Aurora resisted the urge to squirm before Grigori broke the uneasy silence by saying, "Well, I must say that your outfit is a pleasant change from those we've seen so far".

Aurora tugged at her long butterfly sleeves and smiled. "I'll take that as a compliment".

"It was meant as one," the Prince said. "We've seen quite a few dresses and skirts and frocks, but this is the first time we've seen an ensemble like this".

"Do you have any plans of joining a convent, Lady Aurora?" Grigori joked.

"Would you believe me if I told you that you were the second person to tell me that I dressed like a nun?" she asked back, smiling.

Grigori grinned back at her. "You've taken a very interesting route to capture the heart of the Prince, Lady Aurora".

Aurora raised an eyebrow.

"While the other girls have gone for a more sophisticated, elegant look, your updated file says you're going for the Girl-Next-Door look?" Grigori said.

"Actually no, Grigori. This Selection is a test for compatibility. Of companionship. The Prince will be choosing his bride, a person he will spend the rest of his life with. And a right choice can only be made if everyone acts like their true self," she said, looking at the Prince and then the audience, glad to see that they were nodding appreciatively. "This dress I'm wearing - it's complete me. It's to show that I'm just a normal girl from Kent. Just like any other girl you see when you go out on the road".

"Yet you were Selected," the Prince said.

"And that's all thanks to you," Aurora said, smiling at him.

Grigori cleared his throat and interrupted them. "Coming back to your outfit, I can't help but notice that almost no skin is exposed, Lady Aurora. Perhaps, it is to conceal a certain mark?".

"Mark?" Aurora asked, confused.

"A mark given by a certain, special male friend," Grigori clarified.

Aurora fell back on her seat, when she realized what Grigori meant.

Her heart thudded furiously, and she balled her fist.

She resisted the urge to lift her sleeve, show her bruises and scream, "These are the marks I have!".

"What sort of questions are you asking, Grigori?" a voice roared.

The King.

"My Lord, it was simple joke," Grigori said, smiling smoothly.

"There's a level to which you can joke, Grigori. And you crossed your limit by miles," the Queen said sharply.

"My Queen-".

"I think we're done here," Prince Eric said, his tone mirroring his mother's. "We'll keep the next fifteen interviews tomorrow".

The screen  closed, and Aurora finally gathered herself together.

Before any of the royals could speak to her, she muttered, "Excuse me".

She ran, not even bothering to curtesy or bow, ignoring people calling her name, shaking of her mentor and maids.

She ran, climbing multiple levels of stairs, her footsteps thudding on long corridors.

She finally entered a room, wheezing in pain as she tried to breathe normally.

She closed the doors, and slid to the ground, finally letting the tears fall.