69. To Live Like a Normal Kid.

Start from the beginning

"Were you on your own for awhile after that, or were you already with the group?" Deanna asked, putting the clipboard back down. Rosie guessed that she was probably writing down her full name.

"Was already with the group," Rosie answered.

"And when did you become close with Daryl?" Deanna asked. Rosie didn't understand why that mattered. She didn't know the answer, either, so she just shrugged. "What's your relationship like with him?"

"I don't know."

"You don't know?" Deanna repeated. Rosie just shrugged. She didn't know what to say. She just wanted this to be over with. "Is he sort of like a father figure to you, do you think?" Deanna asked, trying to make it easier for Rosie. She just shrugged again, though. "Seeing as you don't have any parents with you, would you prefer to stay with your group or for me to find a different-"

"I wanna stay with them," Rosie said quickly, and began bouncing her leg up and down. "How much longer 'til I can go?" she asked.

"I just have a few more questions," Deanna said. Rosie internally groaned. She hated questions. Especially Deanna's questions. She just wanted to go. "How old are you?" Deanna asked.

"Eleven, I think," Rosie replied.

"It must've been hard, losing your father at such a young age. I'm sorry. What about your mother?" was Deanna's next question.

"Momma left when I was a baby."

"So you were never close with her?" Deanna asked. Rosie shook her head. She didn't remember her mother, honestly. The only things she remembered about her were the few things Fraser told her about. "What grade were you last in?"

Rosie's stomach churned. "Am I gonna have to go to school?" she asked, her face scrunching up to show her distaste.

Deanna laughed a little. "It's not the same as how your old school used to be. It's in a garage, and the younger kids only go during the first half of the day. It's not that bad, I assure you. Now, what grade was it?"

"Fourth, but only for, like, two weeks," Rosie said. She chewed on the inside of her lip for a moment. "Am I done yet?"

"Sure," Deanna said with a sigh. As soon as she said the word, Rosie shot up out of her seat and went towards the door. Deanna had more questions- Rosie could tell, but she didn't care. Unfortunately, Deanna followed her out the door. Rosie was surprised to see that no one else was left in the house. Her stomach started to hurt. Where'd they go? "They're probably all just outside. Nicholas was antsy to have you all turn in your guns," Deanna said, passing Rosie and walking out the front door. Rosie followed after her until they were out on the porch. Deanna was right, they were all putting their guns on a big cart. "They're still your guns. You can check them out whenever you go beyond the wall. But inside here, we store them for safety," Deanna said as Rosie hurried down the stairs.

Rosie went straight to Daryl, standing slightly behind him so that she felt hidden, but could still see what everyone was doing. Carol was in front of the cart, clumsily taking her gun off of her shoulder and smiling awkwardly. It was weird. Very unlike Carol. Rosie tugged on Daryl's vest to get his attention.

"They're takin' our stuff," Rosie said, her eyebrows pinched together. She was relieved to see that Daryl still had his crossbow, but she was not so relieved to see that he no longer had a gun in the holster on his belt. Rosie's gun was still tucked into the back of her waistband, because she didn't have a holster.

"You give 'em yours?" Daryl asked, nodding towards her back as he knew that's where her gun was. Rosie shook her head adamantly.

"They aren't takin' my-"