Chapter 9

KATE

I'm watching out the window of the plane as we fly over water back to New York. Malika is sitting in front of me she's talking but I barely hear her. My mind is a mess, I've never felt so scared in my life.

When me and Grayson got to the car he let me know that Malika can't now of this, that she can be danger for us if she tells anybody. And I'm not going to tell her. But I can't stop thinking of the empty feeling in my stomach when I stood in the living room and heard a gunshot in the attic. It wasn't hard to guess what happened.

I was well aware of how this worked, my grandfather did the same, but never I thought I would have to be involved. And I was terrified. So terrified.

"Are you listening?" Malika calls out for me and I look at her.

"Sorry I zoned out" I say and shake off the heavy feeling in my chest. I tell myself that I can do this, for a year, I can survive.

"You've been weird all day, is everything okay?" She asks worried and leans in closer "did he do something?"

"No, I'm just tired" I say and look at the room at the back of the plane with the huge bed.

"Actually maybe I should go take a nap" I say and get up from my chair leaving the blanket in the chair.

"Okay, if you need anything let me know" Malika is saying and I feel her eyes follow me as I walk inside and slide the doors shut so I'm alone.

I lay on the bed but not even a while later the doors slide open and I lift my head to see who it is.

"You good?" Cole asks and sits at the end of the bed.

"Yeah" I say and look out the window to the water.

"Don't think too much about it" he says and I sit up and look at him.

"How can I not? Do you even know who he was? What if he had a family, children?" I pull my legs to my body.

"He was just a creep who wanted to see something more than he should" Cole says "And if it makes you feel better he doesn't have children nor a wife"

"I still don't think he deserved to die" I look away from Cole and look to the side.

"One thing you need to learn Kate, is that in the world we live in, there is no second chances, if you mess up you pay, there's no in between because our worst enemy is loose ends" he says and I almost laugh. Was that supposed to make me feel better.

"But that doesn't mean we're all bad, yeah we go against the law we have different beliefs but we never would do something like that to someone who doesn't deserve it" he sighs.

"Who deserves to die?"

"People who traffic humans, sell drugs that can kill, there's a lot worse people than him Kate" he says and stands up from the bed.

"I better leave before Gray starts to think I'm hitting on you" He says and that makes me laugh and with that he walks out.

I stay in the room for an hour alone watching Netflix on the big TV when Malika comes in the room and joins me.

"What time are we getting to New York?"Malika is checking her watch on her wrist.

"Around 9pm I think" I say and snack on the bowl of popcorn the flight attendant brought us.

"Do you have your makeup bag here?" She's asking and I look around for my bag.

"Yeah, I think so" I get out of the bed and walk towards the bag and open it pulling out my makeup bag.