“A letter, do not read it now or when you are on board or tomorrow even, just read it when you need to hear my voice, or my pathetic excuse for counsel,” Kitty said bashfully. She immediately regretted giving him the letter, he probably thought her ridiculous.

Instead of scoffing or throwing the letter in the pools of water that were collecting on the docks he slipped it into his pocket. “I shall keep it safe until I need it.” He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. The kiss was soft and short, but it still made Kitty want to collapse on the ground wailing.

“I love you,” she whispered.

“As I you,” he replied. “I’ll return before you know it.”

“I’ll hold you to your word,” she said, forcing a smile onto her mouth. With that he turned away from her. With his Commander they both walked up the ramp to the ship where the other officers saluted them. The ramp was removed and the anchor was pulled from the ocean. The young boys dressed in their best tweed scurried along the harbour untying the ropes that secured the ships to the harbour.

He appeared on deck as he smiled directly at Kitty one last time. Kitty couldn’t help the menacing feeling she got in the pit of her stomach that told her it would be the last time she saw him.

The rain suddenly stopped hitting her face when a thick parasol shielded her. Instead of it being her mother or Little J, it was Kathleen Aubrey.

“Just wait, dear,” she instructed, sounding almost kind. “In twenty minutes he won’t be able to see you anymore and you can collapse in that fit of tears I know you’re desperate to do.”

The Royal Rose followed the East India Trading Company ship slowly as they departed. True as Kathleen had promised, after twenty minutes both ships had become far enough away that Kitty could let her knees give way.

But she refused to let them. She wouldn’t cry, not there. Her worries were ridiculous, he’d promised to return and there were people far worse off in life than she was. It wouldn’t be that long, a year at most, and what was a year?

Instead she watched. She watched until the Royal Rose and her companion disappeared from the horizon. She’d been standing so long that she’d lost the feeling in her legs. The rain had stopped yet it left her clothes cold and damp.

Kathleen still remained at her side and her family were now in the carriages just so they could have a seat. “With every departure, my dear, it gets easier,” she promised. “I know it feels like he’s so far away, that he’s never going to return home but it’s not true. My son and I have said goodbye a dozen times before so I know exactly how you feel, but know that he has returned to me every single time,” she assured her. “However I feel this one will be the last. I doubt any future journeys will be torture for a husband like he, especially when he has a young, lovely wife at home.”

Kitty peered at Kathleen curiously. “Are we friends, Mrs Aubrey?”

Kathleen’s grey eyes softened. “We’re both ‘Mrs Aubrey’ now, aren’t we? We must stick together. Now come along. Your parents and siblings have waited in the rain long enough. We must all return to Ethridge and dry off. I expect a cup of tea and some hot soup are in order.”

Kitty conceded and allowed Kathleen to lead her over to the carriages. Her mother immediately stepped out and enveloped Kitty in her arms. Her golden hair was quite wet but Emilia didn’t seem to notice. “How are you, my darling?” she asked sadly. “Mrs Aubrey advised me that she was more suited to comforting you on this matter.” Kitty did not miss the annoyed look her mother shot at Kathleen.

“Mrs Aubrey understands, mama,” Kitty spoke truthfully. “Just as you understand for several other matters on which I need counsel.”

Emilia kissed Kitty’s forehead and pulled her into the carriage. “Thank you, Mrs Aubrey,” Emilia smiled just as the carriage door closed.