Chapter 21

[Y/n's PoV]

After we left the shop, we looked for a café to take a break.

And inside we saw two married couple handling their shop happily.

"You know, it almost makes me want to get married." Ei exclaimed.

"Wow... I've never thought I'd hear you say something like that."

Ei squinted her eyes.

"What does that mean? Even I think about that kind of thing from time to time. I mean, it does seem like it would get tiring pretty quick, so I'm not totally sure it would be worth it, but..."

Following her irritated outburst, she shrugged and smiled.

"Hahaha, that's just like you."

It was so like her that I couldn't help laughing.

But I quickly realized the meaning behind this conversation, and I retracted my smile.

She had kept on playing the part of my girlfriend without complaint, so I presumed upon her kindness and started thinking of it as the natural way of things.

But Ei had her own life.

I had stupidly allowed this obvious fact to slip my mind completely.

"By the way, Ei, if you find someone you like, you're free to stop pretending to be my girlfriend."

"Huh..?"

"Makoto and Sasayuri have started dating without any problems... I don't know what's going to happen from now on, but I think those two will be alright. You don't have to keep forcing yourself to act like my-"

"I'm fine with the things the way they are."

Ei cut me off, slightly worked up.

Then her face turned red, like she herself hadn't expected to say that so loudly.

"If we told my sister and Sasayuri that we'd broken up, they would probably go to all sorts of irritating lengths in an attempt to mediate between us. I don't want to deal with that, so let's keep on like we're doing."

"Ah... Yeah, you're probably right. Okay, then. Thank you. Seriously, though, if you meet someone you like, we can stop at any time."

"Yeah, thanks. You really are a good person, Y/n. It's your one saving grace."

She suddenly smacked me hard on the back, causing me to stagger.

But then she took off a quick pace, leaving me behind.

My back was still tingling where she hit it.

<Chapter 21 End.>

[Diary (Raiden Ei)]

[Ei's PoV]

I may be the worst woman there is.

Y/n is troubled and depressed over Makoto, and I want to help her, and encourage her. That's all true.

I'm sincerely worried about Y/n, so if there's anything at all that I can do to support her, I want to do it.

But it's not unconditional love.

I want something in return.

I'd been hoping that Y/n would open her heart to me, after the way I've stayed close to her and comforted her through her pain and suffering.

How sneaky of me, trying to buy Y/n's favor in such a safe, risk-free way.

I used my role as her "fake girlfriend" to nestle up closer to her than anybody else, and waited for her to notice once she got back on her feet.

But, even with all the time that has passed, Y/n sees nobody but Makoto.

Even though my sister started dating Sasayuri, Makoto is the only one Y/n thinks of.

Seeing her like this is honestly vexing and painful for me and I actually feel like I'm going to cry sometimes.

At my worst moments, I've even started to resent my sister, and wished that Y/n would get even more hurt.

Then, I could comfort her more.

I am deeply an awful person.

I'm scheming, full of jealousy, and devoid of charm.

A detestable woman like me may be unworthy of Y/n.

But I intended to stay by her, and encourage her.

Until the day when Y/n finally takes notice of me as my own entity.