The Split Personality!

Start from the beginning

“Yes!” 

Aiyayo! I felt so shy all of a sudden. He saw me hopping around like a monkey?! God! Talk about embarrassment!

I walked silently to our room and lay on his bed. I looked at the books that were stacked up on my study table. No way am I going to pass my tenth exam. Why is he torturing me to do something I clearly know is not my fort? I dozed off deeply, thinking about how to escape his clutches. My day went as usual, and I got a little busy in the evening helping in the kitchen. I am feeling one in this house. Everyone is very kind and loving to me, and they don't treat me like a newcomer. 

“Dammu, get the coconut cracked outside.” Thulasi Aunty asked me, and I took the coconut to the front porch to crack it open. I started hitting it on the ground, and with the last hard hit, it cracked open, but that was not what I expected!

“Aiyayo!” I stood up! 

“Idiot!” He came angrily at me. Yeah, a piece of coconut shell flew and hit his car windshield, and the windshield cracked in the place it hit. 

“So… sorry.” I tried to gulp down the ball of fear that threatened to make my heart stop in anxiety.

“Shut up!” He growled at me, and my eyes welled up instantly. “I just cannot handle your irresponsibility and idiocy! Are you even a grown-up? Who in the world will crack open a coconut here?”

“Sorry! I didn't know you would come at this time. I didn't do it purposefully.”

“Do you know how much it's going to cost me to change this glass? Irresponsible idiot.” 

“Sorry!” I stood there not knowing what else I could do. I truly didn't expect this to happen, and what is he expecting me to do? I can certainly not be able to pay the cost for the change of his car glass. 

“Dei, Krishna. What happened? Why are you scolding her outside the doors?” Athai came in between us.

“Look what she had done.” He showed the glass to her, and I felt more humiliated. He talks as if I did it on purpose.

“It's ok. It is just a car. Look at her. She is crying. Go and refresh.” She scolded him and looked at me. “Come in, dear.” She hugged my shoulders and walked me into the house.

“Athai, I truly didn't see him coming. It was not my fault. It was the coconut’s fault.”

“Haha, it’s ok, Damayanthi. Relax. But there is a stone grinder (ammikallu) in the backyard you could have used to crack the coconut.” She said, and I nodded my head in agreement with her. 

“I am really sorry, athai. He is very angry. Um… if you don't mind, can you help me take out the money that my dad put on a deposit? I will pay him to change the windshield.”

“Oh no. It is very unnecessary.”

“But athai, he is really angry,” I told her, and she stopped me, saying there was no need to do that. During dinner, he didn't even look at me, and that hurt me more than I thought it would.

We were not like other married couples. We were not even on good talking terms. He allowed me to stay in his room and will talk if necessary, more like a roommate with a stranger. I went straight to my bed after helping clean the kitchen. He didn't come even half an hour after I settled in my bed. Worried that he was too angry to come in, I went to the door and opened it just at the same time he tried to come in.

“Oops, sorry!” I took a step back after hitting my head on his chest. He grabbed my hand hard and pushed me into the room. He kept walking until I fell on his bed.