Chapter 2: Tori's place

Start from the beginning

"It's Jade." She spoke, quieter than usual. "But, you can't mention this to any of the others because none of this is for sure, I'm just assuming a little here." she quickly added, finally now looking a little more serious about things. Her words terrified me. Was she gonna tell me that Jade is only coming over to murder me for earlier? Shit. Hurry up and talk, Cat, talk! 

"... Go on" I murmured, wishing she'd hurry up.

"Okay, she hasn't spoken to me or anything, but I'm like 90% sure her and Beck were arguing earlier and that's why she was so angry when she came into class." she paused for a second. "But that's pretty obvious. But I'm worried, Tori! She's like my best friend, and every time I've asked her recently she's just told me that they're fine, but this is like their fifth argument this week. That's more than usual!" she continued, now looking seriously worried, which worried me too, because it wasn't often that Cat looked as if she was anything other than happy. "And we haven't hung out anywhere near as much as before. She's being so closed off." I now started to sorta wonder where she was going with this, I mean, Jade is literally always closed off with me. "When she comes over, can you please just tell me if something seems off?" she finished, still looking right at me.

"Cat, I don't know what to tell you." I responded, feeling a little guilty. "She's literally always off with me, I don't see what I'll be able to find different." I continued, my eyebrows raised. I felt awful saying no to her, but I honestly didn't know what else to say. It's true. No matter how hard I'd tried, she literally always fought with me. But at the same time, she was sorta right. I understood what she meant about Beck and her fighting more. I'd noticed it. I looked away from Cat whilst I got a little lost in thought, but once I looked back at her I noticed how upset she looked. Shit

"Okay, okay. I'll keep an eye on her for you!" I blurted out suddenly, not wanting to upset my red headed friend. Her lips formed a smile yet again. 

"Yay, thank you!" She exclaimed, bouncing in her seat.

"But, I really don't see how it's gonna help. Even if something's off with her, what can we even do? She's Jade. If she's being closed off, it's not like either of us will get her to open up." I quickly spoke, slightly cutting Cat off. I heard her sigh a little.

"I don't know, I'm just worried. If they break up then- wait no." She blurted out, before quickly cutting herself off, slapping her hand over her mouth. I raised one eyebrow, now suspicious as to what she was going to say.

"Then what?" I questioned, still looking at her with my suspicious look. She uncovered her mouth, and sighed slightly, before parting her lips to speak.

"Okay, you seriously can't mention this to anyone" she sighed, and I knew it was serious now. "But she's like, super attached to him. And I'm worried that something will happen to her if they break up because things really aren't great for her." She added, a serious look now plastered over her whole face. I was now even more concerned than before. I knew hardly anything about Jade, but learning this right before she came over was definitely one way to freak somebody out.

"What do you mean by not great?" I questioned now, wanting to know more, but trying my hardest to not come across as too pushy. I think she could tell I was getting concerned, as the look on my face shifted from confused to a little scared.

"I don't know.. I mean, I do, but I don't really wanna go into it. It's personal. It's just stuff to do with her family and all of that." She stuttered, wanting to tell me more, but also wanting to keep Jade's privacy in mind. "She pretty much only opens up to him, so I'm just worried about if they break up, then she's gonna be alone through it all." Cat finished, finally giving a clear reason as to why she actually wanted me to see if I noticed anything off about Jade today.