Chapter Twenty-Seven

Start from the beginning

I had expected a collective gasp of horror, but there was nothing but a grim murmur. No one argued. Even the guards agreed about his insanity?

Lucan stepped forward with a worried expression. "I will speak with my father," he said. His demeanor seemed to change, and he appeared more princely than I had ever seen him. "Lannie, you will come with us to the castle."

Clarice tugged my sleeve forward, but I hesitated, glancing back at Synnove, Hadrian, and my father. Two were guilty, while the other was innocent. Even so, my conscience wouldn't allow me to abandon them. "And the others?" I asked the prince. "Would you mind if they came with us?"

Lucan stopped. "To the castle?" He seemed perplexed, and I realized that he didn't know that Hadrian was a Harbinger.

I nodded vigorously and indicated imperceptibly toward Hadrian. "Yes."

To my utmost surprise, Lucan understood. Or seemed to understand, at least, because he assented to their coming.

The guards parted grudgingly as Captain Muir came to unlock our shackles. He gave me a lasting look that told me he still believed me guilty.

The six of us entered the large royal carriage with three sitting on each side.

"I suppose you'll tell me why everyone is tagging along while we go to the castle," Lucan said as the carriage started moving.

I smiled at him when I noticed Hadrian's look of pure misery. "Of course I will."

                                                ————————

"You mean you've already spoken with your father?" I asked Lucan as we exited the carriage to stand before the familiar Norian castle again. The white stone courtyard bustled with servants and guards. "Titus and Mayra are here and not...imprisoned?"

"Yes, I tracked them down and brought them here," he said, scratching at his chin.

"I was actually the one who found them," Clarice chimed in. "We had to get the special carriage"—she indicated to the vehicle behind us, where Synnove and my father waited—"to look for them so people would actually get out of the way. They were a booger to find."

My heart seized like a thousand thorns curled around it. "Don't say that word. It's unladylike."

"What?" She laughed. "Are we back to the old times now?"

I frowned at her careless demeanor. Then I relaxed. Her grey eyes were bright today, as opposed to the darkened color of them several days ago. She was happy here, despite everything that happened. I wasn't going to crush that.

Lucan smiled as we scaled the white stone steps to the castle. "Anyway, I apologize for my father's behavior. I honestly don't know what's going on. You should be able to talk to him normally now."

I frowned. Why should it be different now? Did the king have different personalities?

"I cannot be here," Hadrian protested. Despite his words, he kept moving, just a few steps behind us. "I have to—"

"Remember what I told you in the carriage," I reminded him with a glower. After I informed Lucan of everything from Hadrian's identity to our issues with the king, I had threatened Hadrian with imprisonment unless he stayed to convince the king. It was a bluff, but he didn't know that. Especially when I was such good friends with Prince Titus De Luca—and Lucan Faretra, on top of that.

Hadrian's teeth clenched, but he said nothing. His breathing was strangely erratic, and sweat coated his brow. I knew he must have been nervous about seeing the king—terrified, even—but he had to help me secure this treaty. I glanced back at the carriage to see my father next to Synnove. They had opted to stay outside while we entered, though I doubted that we would be seeing Synnove again. She would probably turn tail and run before the guards had the time or thought to arrest her again. I never told Lucan about her misdemeanors. She saved me once, after all.