Chapter 2

Barbara Carson

"Missed me?" he said, smiling while holding one of the boxes that I left earlier. I quickly pulled him inside and carried the other box, closing the door behind us.

When I turn around to face him, he puts the box down and meets me with open arms, and I take that chance to kick him in his stomach. He wraps his hand around himself, dramatically falling to his knees. "What was that for?" he asks, faking a painful tone.

"For over decorating this house. What's up with all the stupid fake plants?" I asked, holding my hand for him to get up.

"I just wanted to make you feel like you are at home now." He says as he gets up. "I really wanted to make you feel like you're at home."

I leaned forward and wrapped my arms around him "Thank you" I whispered; his arms pulled me in tighter as he kissed the top of my head. "But why did you give me a bunch of boxes to carry here with me?" I asked as I broke the hug.

"Just to make it realistic, wouldn't it be so weird if you moved here without carrying anything with you. They have some furniture that you'll need for the kitchen, some food and groceries that I made this morning. Oh yeah, they also have a bunch of new clothes and be prepared that you might hate it but there's nothing that you could do about it because you're not Nyx anymore, you're Barbara now. Just an ordinary girl that moved here to work as a nurse at the local hospital."

I just roll my eyes at him and walk towards one of the couches. "You're doing too much" I say as I sit down.

He walks towards me "I'm just trying to make it easier for you." He takes my hand and makes me get up. "I will be secretly visiting you. Don't you ever mention it to Demyan." He pulls me to the kitchen and makes me sit on one of the counter stools. He leaves to the living room and comes back warrying two boxes. "You will call me first if anything goes wrong." He states as he starts emptying one of the boxes. "Try to get along with people here but don't let them get too close to you."

"Okay enough" I interrupted him. "You're acting like your father now. He already gave me a full lecture on what I should be doing."

"Fine" he said opening the other box and emptying it. "But you need to promise me something." he said as he walked to the refrigerator.

"Uh, what else do you want me to do, your majesty?"

"For the love of God, cook some healthy meals and eat like a grown woman. You're not a kid anymore, eating fast food and cake is not good for your health and you know that." he explained, as he sliced the chicken breast.

"Fine." I sighed as I got up from the stool. "Do you want me to help you with something?"

"Yeah." he said as he seasoned the chicken. "Can you wash some lettuce, tomatoes and cucumber, please."

"Of course, chef"

***

"Dominic Grant was found dead in the woods." he said as he put his phone down. "This is the fifth murder that has happened in the span of two months. what a scary town that you moved to, Barbara."

I smiled and put my fork down. "Not exactly. This is fifth murder that dies in this town." My eyes meet his. "Victor and Samuel used to live in Eastwood. Unfortunately, they didn't get the chance to die here. Tragic."

We finish our dinner and Cayden washes the dishes. I know exactly what he's doing. He's trying to make me feel at home. He knows that I've never had a place to call home. Even when I lived with him and his family for a couple years. I still couldn't call that place home. It wasn't even a home for him. But now he's trying to make me feel like I belong here. Decorating the house, cooking dinner and now washing the dishes. I know what you're trying to do, Cayden Cardale.

He turns to face me. "I got to get going now. You also need to settle in and get some rest. Tomorrow is your first day at work here." he said coming to my direction and putting the hood of his sweatshirt over his head. "You'll have a busy day at work tomorrow. They say that a car accident is going to happen at midnight." He whispered, smirking. I smile as we walk to the front door. He opened the door and lowered himself, his lips now touching my ear "Don't forget to take your pills, Nyx." He whispered, kissed my cheek then walked out.

As I was standing there smiling. I saw my neighbor standing in front of his house. I hope that he didn't see Cayden. Or at least his face. Well, it's getting more awkward now since he's not doing anything other than staring at me with a weird look on his face.

Great! A Creepy neighbor was all I needed right now!