Chapter 33

Elijah and Gia insisted on coming along.

"Here, my littlest wolf," said Klaus, laying her down on the couch. "Our home..." he looked around with distaste. "Once the pride of our family, now a flophouse."

"Indeed, the mighty have fallen," murmured Elijah.

Yara looked around. "Vincent should be here any–"

"I'm here," he said, coming out of the kitchen. He smiled kindly at Yara, a little less so at Elijah and Klaus, then shook Gia's hand. "This must be Hope." He knelt beside her. "How are you feeling?"

"Cold," she murmured.

"Why would they pick Hope?" asked Yara as Vincent sat her up. "They had to have known she wasn't anywhere nearby."

"'Cause she's a special witch," said Vincent. "Special bloodline, powerful, born in the Quarter. I mean, a sacrifice like that is something that's gonna be rewarded."

"Why would someone do that to kids?" muttered Gia uncomfortably. "Especially such little ones..."

"I don't know," murmured Vincent. "Okay, just stay still, little one." He began to clap his hands rhythmically, chanting, "Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a. Nettoyer timoun sa a."

Hope suddenly let out a gasp. "Mama?" She reached out for Yara, who scooped her up, her little body much warmer.

"That's it," said Vincent. "Your little girl's purified."

"Thank you, thank you so much," said Yara as Klaus nodded his head gratefully. She made toward him, but stopped in her tracks when a crow squawked overhead, suddenly falling in front of her. She covered Hope's eyes as dozens of other began to fall around her, trapping her in an oddly asymmetrical circle. "What the–?"

"What is this?" demanded Klaus, stepping in to draw her out.

"I don't know," said Vincent again, now thoroughly confused.

Hope rubbed Yara's shoulder. "Mama? Put me down."

"My love, no, I don't think you want to see–"

She wiggled out despite her hesitation. As soon as she saw the birds, she frowned. "Do you hear that? Whispers... saying a name... over and over."

"What are they saying?" asked Klaus, kneeling in front of her.

Hope repeated, "'Kre Nah Han. Kre Nah Han.'"

"That's Creole," said Yara. "I haven't heard anyone speak it in centuries. Why are they saying 'The Hollow?'"

Vincent's face fell. "The Hollow is coming. That's what that means. I have to go."

He rushed out. As soon as he left, Hope leaned onto Klaus, pressing her cheek against his, which startled him when he realized she was cold again. "Papa, I feel sleepy," she said weakly.

Gia offered to keep an eye on her as she tried to sleep in one of the cleaner rooms upstairs. Elijah and Klaus were pacing while Yara sat on the fountain, not sure what 'The Hollow' was or why Vincent had been so startled.

"How dare he leave without saying anything?" said Klaus hotly. "My daughter's life is at risk and instead of communicating–"

"Let's try to dial down the anger," warned Yara. "We're not even supposed to be here. Okay... here's what we're going to do. You two are going to stay here, I'm going to find Vincent."

"Elijah can stay," said Klaus. "Make an excuse if she asks for us. I'd rather my daughter not know I've gone off to murder witches."

The elder brother shook his head. "Yara is right, we cannot be reckless, Niklaus."