Rhodes's lips purse together in a straight line and his eyes do a quick sweep of the nearly empty parking lot. "Why don't you come inside and wait?" he offers.

"I'm okay," I say, despite swatting away the third mosquito that's attacked my legs.

Rhodes frowns, his expression turning exasperated. "Come inside before you become an all you can eat buffet for the mosquitos."

I huff, dreading having to get up.

Seemingly reading my mind, Rhodes steps off the curb to stand in front of me, reaching his hand out.

Reluctantly, I grab his hand and he hoists me up with ease. We both go back inside the gym and he rounds the front desk, pulling out a couple of desk chairs, gesturing for me to sit. I plop down into the rolling chair, my sore legs feeling instant relief. Rhodes drops his gym bag and takes a seat next to me, throwing his feet up on the desk, one ankle crossed over the other.

"Does Eli always pick you up from the gym?" Rhodes asks, uncomfortably filling the silence.

"Yeah," I admit, a little embarrassed.

"Why?"

"Because my car is in the shop right now," I lie, figuring it's easier to lie than to explain how I haven't been able to drive after the accident, too afraid.

He nods, humming out an acknowledgment.

A few minutes of silence floats between us, but there's a tight knot between his brows, telling me he's thinking hard about something.

"What?" I finally ask, curiosity getting the best of me.

He snaps out of his thoughts, his brow smoothing over. "Hmm?"

"What are you thinking about?" I ask.

He shakes his head. "Nothing."

"Tell that to your face."

A ghost of a smile touches his lips before his expression sobers, and he contemplates his next words. "So you and Eli are really getting married?"

My head jerks back in surprise. "Yes."

That tight knot forms between his brows again, and his lips turn down at the edges.

"What?" I ask, his reaction prickling my nerves.

"I just... I thought you two broke up," he confesses.

"Why would you think that?" I demand.

Rhodes shrugs a broad shoulder. "I haven't seen you around at competitions in a long time."

"I was... busy," I reply lamely.

He nods, his tight jaw ticking in that way again, like he's refraining himself from saying something. "So you two have never been broken up?"

"No," I confirm firmly.

He roughly swipes a hand over his mouth, suddenly seeming agitated. His eyes sweep over me with an emotion I can't quite decipher—but whatever it is it suddenly has me agitated and self-conscious.

"What? You think he should have broken up with me?" I accuse, feeling insecure, knowing he's wondering why Eli would date someone that looks like me.

His icy gray eyes widen in surprise. "No, not at all," he says quickly, removing his feet from the desk and sitting up straighter. "I just... I thought you finally realized you deserved better and dropped his sorry ass."

My mouth opens and closes. "Eli's a good guy," I defend him.

The look Rhodes sends me tells me he thinks otherwise.

"He is!" I insist a little too hastily. "Look, I know you two are enemies or whatever, so you don't get to see the side of him that I do, but he loves me and treats me well," I say, hating that my voice doesn't sound as convincing as I intended it to.

He rakes a hand though his black hair, jaw ticking before he blows out a long breath, his lips vibrating together. "You're right, I don't know your relationship, but I do know Eli, and he doesn't deserve someone like you."

I cross my arms over my chest. "And why is that?"

"Because every time I saw you at competitions you were always so nice to everyone and bubbly. And anytime I saw you with Eli you looked at him like he was your whole world... I could tell you were in love with him but all he seemed to be interested in was parading you around like a trophy." Rhodes shakes his head. "Don't get me wrong, any man would be more than happy to show you off, but that's all he seemed interested in. It didn't seem like there was anything deeper in relationship for him."

I stare at him, baffled. "That's not true. Eli loves me. Why would he ask me to marry him if he didn't?"

Rhodes shrugs. "I don't know, but in high school he would always jump from one girl to the next. He always had to have the most popular girl hanging off his arm to feel some sort of validation. But eventually he'd get bored or someone more popular would come along and he'd drop them. He never really cared about love."

"Isn't that every high school boy?" I argue. "He's grown up now."

"Is he?" Rhodes mutters under his breath.

I roll my eyes. "Yes."

Rhodes gives me another unconvincing look.

Huffing, I glance at my watch, realizing Eli's now more than thirty minutes late.

Rhodes realizes as well, and his eyes turn soft, sympathetic. "Do you want me to drive you home?" he offers.

I shake my head. "No." Because then I would have to explain to Eli how I got home. "But you can go, Rhodes. You don't have to sit and babysit me."

"I'm not babysitting you." He scoffs. "I'm just making sure you get home."

"Eli is coming," I assure. "You don't have to waste your night waiting with me."

"Who says I'm wasting my night?" he rebuttals. "I'm staying with you until he gets here."

I blow out a slow, exasperated breath. "You're so stubborn."

A small, teasing smile tugs at his lips. "How did you know?"

I bite the inside of my cheek, fighting back the sudden urge to smile.

He sits forward, resting his elbows on his knees. "Look, I know your allegiance is to Eli, but I really have no problem driving you home. You can even tell him Victoria dropped you off."

I chew my lip, actually contemplating his offer when a pair of headlights shines through the glass windows. I peek over the high edge of the sign in desk to see Eli's truck pulling up to the curb.

I quickly pop up from the chair, instantly regretting it when I feel the shoot of pain through my legs.

"Careful," Rhodes chastises. "You've waited over thirty minutes for him, he can wait a few extra seconds for you."

I shoot him a bland look before hobbling towards the door.

"See you tomorrow!" Rhodes calls out cheerfully, and even though I can't see his face I can picture the amused, smug look on it.

I quickly shoot him the middle finger behind my back and he lets out a soft, rumbling laugh.

Exiting the gym, the warm, muggy air greets me once more as I make my way to Eli's truck. I open the door and slowly climb in, the AC blasting.

As soon as I close the door he's driving off, racing home.

"You were pretty late tonight," I comment, refraining from using an accusing tone.

"Lost track of time," he says, as I suspected. "You know I have that big competition coming up."

I only manage to hum out an acknowledgement, not failing to notice his lack of apology.

We drive home the rest of the way in silence and manage to stay silent for the rest of the night.