Chapter 6 (edited)

Whispers and murmurs floated among the students, speculating about the possible grades they might receive and discussing their thoughts on the assignment. Some were filled with confidence, believing they had crafted a masterpiece, while others harbored a hint of nervousness, wondering if their efforts would meet the professor's expectations.

As the minutes ticked by, the anticipation grew, and a hush fell over the group as the door to the classroom finally swung open. Professor Matthews, carrying a stack of papers, stepped into the hallway, her presence commanding attention. With a slight smile, she addressed the students, "Good morning, everyone. I hope you're all ready to see the results of your hard work.  She put her belongings down, then everyone watched as she got settled in the room.

Excitement radiated from the students, their eager faces expectant of feedback on what they believed to be their rough drafts. Claire sitting to the middle left of the podium, sets up her desk getting prepared for lecture.

As the professor distributed the graded papers, a sense of nervous anticipation filled the air. Students eagerly flipped through the pages, their eyes scanning for the mark that would determine their academic prowess. Claire's heart pounded within her chest as she received her paper, her hands trembling with a mix of hope and trepidation.

Her eyes swiftly scanned the page, her heart sinking as she absorbed the grade before her. Disappointment washed over Claire, her expectations shattered by a reality that fell short of her desires. It felt like a blow to her self-esteem, a setback in her pursuit of excellence.

Across the room, Thomas received his paper with a smug grin, his eyes lighting up at the sight of the coveted "A" gracing the top of the page. Professor Matthews offered him a nod of approval, acknowledging his achievement with a simple yet meaningful "Good work, Thomas."

But as Thomas glanced over at Claire, a smirk playing at the corners of his lips, his expression soured. Leaning in close, he whispered a taunting remark that cut straight to the core of Claire's disappointment. "Weak," he jeered, his voice dripping with contempt.

As Professor Matthews began to delve into the rationale behind the assignment, Claire's mind was consumed by a whirlwind of emotions. Frustration, disappointment, and self-doubt swirled together, threatening to overwhelm her. With a heavy heart, she abruptly stood up, her chair scraping against the floor. Claire could feel the weight of the other students' gazes on her, their curiosity and concern palpable in the air. With a lump in her throat, she pushed open the door and stepped into the hallway, desperate to escape the suffocating confines of the classroom.

Alone in the empty corridor, Claire's composure crumbled, tears streaming down her cheeks as she leaned against the wall, overcome by a flood of emotion. 

As she reached her dorm room, Claire fumbled with the key, her hands trembling with emotion. With a shaky exhale, she pushed open the door and stumbled inside, to find Melissa peacefully sleeping, undisturbed by the turmoil brewing within Claire.

Sitting on the edge of her bed, Claire let out a sigh of frustration. She felt defeated, questioning her abilities and wondering if she had somehow failed to meet the professor's expectations. Doubt and disappointment swirled in her mind, threatening to overshadow her passion for writing.

Not wanting to disturb Melissa's sleep, Claire opted to silently brood over her predicament. But as she sat there, her thoughts swirling, Melissa stirred, sensing Claire's unease. Opening her eyes, she looked at her friend with concern.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Melissa asked, her voice filled with sleepiness but also genuine care.

Claire hesitated for a moment, unsure of whether to burden Melissa with her troubles. But seeing the understanding in her friend's eyes, she decided to share her frustrations.