6. how to survive a hawthorne.

˚ ༘ ೀ⋆。˚

─── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ──

I pulled open the car door handle and tossed my purse in. I slid in the car and started driving out.

I waited at the gate for it to open. With my window rolled down, I could see Oren staring back at me from his spot at the guardhouse.

"Bye!" I screamed out. The bodyguard nodded in response.

As I drove out of the place, I passed a car driving in the opposite direction, making eye contact with the driver.

My heart dropped the second I saw the driver's silver eyes.

"Fucking hell," I swore.

Grayson Hawthorne glared back at me through the car's window. He, too, looked as shocked as I was.

I've talked to Grayson two times ever since I've entered and returned from the ward. He and Esther have never made an attempt to call me since.

I saw his face in every reflection the entire ride back home. When I drove past my house gates, I ran as fast as I could up the stairs and into my room.

I picked up a pillow from my bed and screamed into it. After a fit of screams, I pulled my face out of the pillow.

"Kill me."

Suddenly, my room door pushed open.

"Estas bien?"

I looked up to see my sister staring back at me, her hair pulled back in a high ponytail. "I'm fine. Completely fine."

"Are you sure?" I nodded. "I think I'm going out tonight." I stand up and place the pillow back to where it was earlier.

"Out? Where to?" Alisa walks toward a painted canvas hanging on my wall and examines it.

"I don't know! The club or whatever. Somewhere that can make me forget about everything."

My older sister glared at me as if I'd just admit to murdering infants. "You are not going to the club. In fact, you shouldn't be anywhere that isn't a restaurant or bookstore."

"What? Why not? I'm 19!" I argued.

"19 and just back from the psychiatric ward. You battled a drug addiction and self-harm. You really want to get back into that shit?"

I hate that my sister was right. She argued like it was a skill. She didn't become a lawyer for nothing.

"I can control myself, Allis. I'm not a child."

"No. I'm sorry, but it's for your own good. I don't think you should even be able to live on your own."

"Alisa! You've got your plate busy with that Avery girl, stop trying to make me part of your concerns."

"Avery's my client, you're my sister," she retorted.

I frowned at that. Alisa would do anything for me, just like how I would do anything for her. Even if it meant getting injured.