Too Happy

Pick you up in a few hours. I'll call before I leave the apartment.

Soojung had read that text a hundred times ever since it was sent to her and Lay called twenty minutes ago. Her stomach never stopped churning in nervousness and she ignored the feeling of vomiting, because she had been going back and forth inside the bathroom but nothing ever came out. Her phone was in between her shaking hands and from time to time, she only checked her inbox to read the message.

It was a feeling of being so happy that Soojung feared something really bad would happen. For the past months, everything just fell into place and she was scared that a momentous event would come and take these things away from her.

She and Jiyong were in good terms and they were both in committed relationships, her father was doing great and was staying at his home near the university during the break, she passed her finals and entrance exam, she had paid the money she owed Lay from the police station incident, and she had talked to her friends again and made up. In fact, Sunyoung was in the flat with her a few hours ago, helping her dress up and get pretty because she didn't know how to do it herself.

As Lay very much knew that she had nothing but frayed jeans and dirty sneakers in her closet, he took the task of sending a box to her that morning which she found at her door, containing a dark red Sabrina dress and a pair of gold shoes that she didn't want to touch. She thought it was too gorgeous for her rough hands but Sunyoung miraculously succeeded in making her wear it, gaping at her right after and claiming that Lay knew what shit would hug her body in all the right places. It actually came with a note that read 'I bet you'd look beautiful... See you'.

Quite the sweet talker that Lay was, Soojung couldn't deny feeling good whenever he compliments the simple stuff like her hair or how she seemed to glow whenever she smiled. He was always like that, noticing the good bits that Soojung never even knew she had. Dark eyes that hid so much mystery, warm hands for cold nights, soft mutters when she's sleepy... Lay knew how to say it poetically and make himself sound romantic. Perhaps it was because he reads often and was a decent writer that he easily found good words to blurt out. If he couldn't find the right word though, he'd say it in Mandarin and that'd leave Soojung searching for the translation.

She almost jumped on her seat when knocks sounded from her door, and Soojung checked her face and hair on her phone's front camera. She cleared her throat and probably mumbled 'you can do this shit' to herself twenty times before walking to the door and turning the knob, revealing an effortlessly dashing boyfriend in his suit. Soojung was at lost for words and so was Lay, and she took notice of the tie he was wearing that matched the color of her dress flawlessly. Guess speaking was unnecessary for people to know that they're a couple.

"Wow." He stated dreamily, dimple becoming visible with the genuine smile. Soojung blushed to the ears and looked down on what she was wearing, suddenly feeling conscious.

"I don't feel like myself." She admitted and received Lay's hand when he held it out. "I'm going fall face first with these shoes."

"I know you don't like it, but Minseok will kill me if I let you wear your ripped jeans." Lay chuckled and Soojung closed the door behind them as she stepped out. A purse that Sunyoung let her use was hanging on her other side, and at some point on the way to the elevator, Lay's fingers intertwined with hers and gave a sense of security. "It looks good on you."

"Sunyoung helped me dress up earlier." Soojung replied. "She said you have good taste."

"I bought it but I didn't pick it." Lay said. "Eunchae helped me."

"How did she know my size? This is a perfect fit."

"I showed her a picture of you." He grinned. "And I might have stolen one of your t-shirts."