Run

Dirty laundry were scattered all around the floor including a black boot that goes on the left foot, worn-out sneakers near the door, a snapback cap, multiple candy and salty snack wrappers, and a skateboard. Empty water bottles were lined at the foot of where the computer was placed and the box of pizza from the night before was near the keyboard and mouse.

Out the living room was a black velvet couch with two throw pillows on it, the third one was laying by the foot of the metal coffee table. A thick blanket was on the sofa for a cozy feel when watching a movie. The television was directly in front of it set atop a shelf with the remote. On the bottom of the shelf were several cases with movie disks and books that were olden with age and, well, by too much usage.

The one and only bathroom had only two hair products: shampoo and conditioner. The toothbrush and a tube of toothpaste half-empty were by the sink. Behind the mirror was a cupboard with over the counter medicine and a bottle of cologne, plus a razor and shaving foam.

In the kitchen opposite of what the rest of the apartment looked like, the dishes were all washed and stored in the container. Black and white tiles on the floor were squeaky and pots and pans were organized. In fact, the kitchen was so clean that even the refrigerator didn’t have anything in it, except an unopened water bottle, half a can of soda that was stored in it for two days now and a tiny packet of hot sauce. A small dining table was set on the side with two chairs, an area that was rarely ever made use of.

The walls of the apartment were painted a simple white to contrast the dark furnishings. Even the window curtains were black and so were the details like picture frames and doors and mats. There are three clocks inside, four if the phone of the owner was counted. One hung in the lounge, one in the kitchen and one in the bedroom. All are in sync and was set in various places to remind the time. However, it was hardly ever glimpsed at.

If you looked at the overall, you’d think the flat is occupied by a guy. That’s until you look into the bedroom and see someone sprawled on the bed, sleeping soundly at past seven in the morning. Her phone rang with a call and she groaned, reaching for it on the bedside table and peeking with one eye to swipe the green button.

“It’s so early.” She said; voice hoarse as it was her first words of the day.

“I didn’t see your motorbike in the parking lot.” The voice from the other line replied. “Don’t tell me you’re still at home.”

“I’m not, I’m on my way.” She answered and sat up, rubbing her face.

“You’re on your way? What, are you driving while talking to me?”

“Alright, I give up.” She sighed. “You woke me up.”

“Chae Soo-jung, what did I tell you about staying up late?” The man scolded. “Do you want me to confiscate your computer for the whole semester? It’s already 7:08.”

“Come on, it’s early.” Soojung huffed and swung her legs to the side of the bed to stretch. “What could possible go wrong?”

“Your classes start at seven o’clock every day.”

She halted and stared at the digital clock on the bedside table, blue numbers making her realize that playing online games the night before the first day of school was a very bad idea. Quick to her feet, she ran to the bathroom, expertly dodging the mess on the floor and almost forgot the phone still pressed to her face.

“If you don’t go to school today, I’m going to take either your computer or your motorbike.” Her father threatened, and Soojung almost tripped on her own two feet. “Are you still there?”

“I’ll be on my way, Appa.” She replied hurriedly. “I’ll talk to you later. Love you.”

Soojung didn’t wait for the man to respond and hung up, covering the toilet bowl and placing the device there so she could shower. She didn’t take ten minutes, although eight was a pretty big waste of time considering her situation. Grabbing the towel to wrap it around her body, she took her phone again and rushed back to the disordered bedroom, opening her wardrobe to get a set of her uniform and some socks inside the drawer.