Wait

The days passed by so fast and as M sat on their usual lunch table on Friday, the talk of college applications and exams were nonstop. Maknae was especially dead excited about the fact that they would all stay inside the same house once again. The only difference was that there were only six of them instead of twelve.

Kris seemed like he was feeling lighter, happier and better than the past few days – or years. He spoke more than the usual and interacted with his members in a calm way instead of cold, even smiling every once in a while for half a second before returning back to his straight expression. It was rare to see him laugh or actually express happiness over something, but the way the corner of his lips turned up ever so slightly was clearly an improvement.

Xiumin was ecstatic at the mention of his girlfriend, who he found out earlier would take the entrance exam for the same university. Minah figured that since her family wasn't travelling back and forth anymore, it was the nearest and most convenient university she could go into. The bright smile he had ever since they sat down was never lost.

Chen, who they expected to be one of the most thrilled to finish high school, stayed silent in his seat and ate lunch. He only answered if he was asked; only nodding when he agreed and shaking his head when he didn't. Of course, every single one of them noticed, but none of them said a thing about it. They missed the noisy Chen so much, their friend who used to see everything as good and every detail as important.

Luhan talked the most, as usual. He had always been the light of M, the good side, the approachable member, the one who never neglected his admirers, the guy who smiled the warmest. No one had an idea as to what being in college would do to him, not even his best friend Eunchae who knew him like the back of her hand.

And then, there was Lay. He felt numb all over and that's probably the best way to describe it. Even his mind couldn't comprehend anything his friends were saying and he could only hear his own heart pumping in a slow, steady pace, matching the loneliness and heartbreak he was going through. Sight on his food which remained untouched for half an hour since the lunch bell rang, Lay blinked a few times and inhaled slowly. He only took note of the sudden quiet atmosphere when the one next to him nudged his arm.

"Hyung." Chen uttered. The rest were just looking at him, waiting for some response that will prove he was alive – or at least felt like it. "Are you alright?"

Lay raised his head slowly and eyed his friends. "Fine."

"You haven't touched your food."

"I'm not hungry." Lay said and straightened up on his seat.

"Drink water at least." Luhan stated worriedly on his other side, reaching out for his bottle and opening it for him. Lay received it and sipped so little that it didn't even pass for a gulp. He placed it back on his tray and bowed until his eyes only focused on his lap, mind going blank for the nth time that day.

"So..." Xiumin cleared his throat to save the awkwardness. "Any plans for later after classes?"

"What about a movie?" Tao suggested. "Luhan hyung, call Eunchae."

"Okay." Luhan smiled and pulled his phone out, dialing right there and then. It wasn't long until a deal was made between the two but before they could even hang up, Lay stood up and slung his bag on his shoulder.

"See you at the homeroom."

"Where are you going?" Chen asked.

"I don't know." Lay shrugged and went towards the double doors in long strides, fortunately not hearing any protests anymore. His friends understood of course, especially Xiumin who went through a similar thing before and Chen who was still obviously suffering from his own situation.