chapter 47: "If she's dead, I hope you can live with that, Satan."

Start from the beginning

I've been teling him to relax, that jackie can make her own decidisons. But secretly sometimes I share his wory. Because I've met the guys Jackie hangs out with... and let's just say they can't be the best influence.

But trying to tell jackie what to do is like telling fire to stop burning, or telling Mr Brown to stop giving us chemistry homework. With Jackie, it's better that you go along with the ride, and be there when she needs you. Brok's only managing to drive a wedge between them, and at this rate, their friendship's going to go up in smoke.

"Satan!" yells my mom. "You told me you'd help set the table tonight!!"

"Listen, Jack-in-the-box," I say to her, using my old nickname for her. "I gotta go help my mom wil dinner. But i'll see you tomorow, ok?"

"You're sooo missing out," she says to me. "This party's going to be lit, I swear."

"Oh right, lit," I say with a laugh. "Ok, well, have a good time."

"I'll see you, Wayne."

"Bye, Jackie."

*****

Later, my dad stil hasnt come back from the store. The food's gone cold, and my mom stands by the window, worreidlhy biting at her fingernails. She's been calling him nonstop, with no luck. It's not like him to be so uncontactable.

"He's fine, he's fine," she mutters to herself over and over, as if that will make it true.

A sudden knock on the door gets both of our attention. "I'll get it," I say quicky, releieved that my dad's finaly back.

But standing on the front door is not my father, but Brok. He looks agitated.

"Is that you, honey?" my mom calls out, sounding hopeful.

"It's Brok, mom!" I call back. "I'll be bck in a second!"

I close the door behind us, and give brok a nod of acknowledgement. "Hey, sorry man this isn't a great time, my dad's gone AWOL-"

"Where is she?" he interrupts, voice strained.

I stare at him, confused. "What?"

"Jackie," he says. "We got in a fight and I'm worried about her."

"You know Jackie," I say in an even tone. "She just needs a little time, that's all." I pause, and sigh. "You know, you could let up on her a little, Brok. You're not relly helping the situation with all your worry."

"Oh I'm sorry," he says in a tone dripping with sarcasm. "I'm sory I'm so worried about my girlfri-"

He stops sudenly, as if just realzing what he said, but it's too late. I freeze, and look at him confusedly. "Girlfriend?"

Brok's jaw ticks, and he looks away before looking back at me. "Me and Jackie," he mutters, sounding distinctly akward. "we've gone on a few dates. She didn't think you'd take it well."

"Are you serious?" I ask him. I stare at him, suddenly feeling mad. He knew I liked her. The only reason I never said anything to her was because I knew Brok felt something too. I prioritised our friendship. All this time I thought I was the one who was holding the group together, trying to help and be there for both of them. And they've been dating in secret? My eyes narrow. "She thought I wouldn't handle it well?"

Brok raises an eyebrow. "Well, you aren't right now, are you?"

I take a step closer. "Oh, I wonder why."

He sighs. "Look, I'm sorry Satan. I know it's not a good situation, and I get why you feel mad. But I just... I like her so much."

It's irritating to hear, but I know it's true. I can see it in his eyes, and I wish I could hate him for this. And I do... kind of. But this is Brok, he wears his heart on his sleeve. And I can see that he loves her, and who would I be to stand in the way of that?