𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

Start from the beginning

Giada had been the only female in the Glade for two months when Teresa decided to make her appearance known. They'd somehow found themselves mixed up with a bunch of rambunctious teenage boys who were already going through puberty. And it certainly didn't help matters when she realized there had been another boy in the box with her, Thomas. People thought they'd done "things" and Giada nearly threw up after hearing that. No disrespect to Thomas, but he was way too young for her. Everyone there had been except for Alby, which was why they'd probably gotten along so well. 

His death refused to leave her mind, the way he'd screamed as the grievers tore him apart. The only reason Alby even died in the first place was because the machines had almost gotten Giada, but he'd pushed her out of the way. She couldn't stop blaming herself. He shouldn't have given his life for mine. Giada could also tell by the way Thomas looked at her with nothing but coldness in his eyes that he blamed her too. To say the least, she was all alone. Even Teresa had spent all of her spare time trasping after the brunette haired boy. Apparently she'd didn't think of befriending the only other female there. 

Not very many of the Gladers, as they called themselves; paid Giada much mind during her whole stay there. Obviously, they'd gawked at her, and made sexual comments in her direction. They must've thought she could not hear them, but Giada remembered every single thing they said. One of them even tried touching Giada in a way he shouldn't have, but ironically the next day the same person was found with a knife embedded into his chest. It gave them all the illusion he got suicidal and decided to kill himself. But Giada, along with everyone else knew he'd never have it in him to take his own life willingly, unless he was being controlled... Either way, after that happened, nobody tried initiating anything with Giada again. There had been rules developed against that, and if broken, the person would've faced the maze. Which in Giada's opinion, the maze itself was a worser fate than death. 

She'd woken up in that painfully uncomfortable box just like everyone else, but Giada never felt like she belonged in there. When she'd woken up from her trance, Giada had felt a strange amount of tingling, and while it soothed her for the time being.. She didn't have the slightest recollection of why she was feeling the way she was feeling. Giada must've cared about someone she couldn't even remember, and it stung her like a blade piercing through the woman's chest. 

There's actually only a few things she knew about herself, appearance wise since there'd been no mirrors back in the Glade. One, she's very tall, like taller than most of the males, but Giada already knew that. I mean, it's pretty obvious. Two, she had a bunch of freckles dotted along her face and arms. Three, nearly everyone in that hell of a place found Giada attractive with that long vibrant ginger hair which seemed to glow under the sunlight. And those intoxicating ocean-blue eyes...

Suddenly, completely out of nowhere, there was a loud knock on the metal door, causing a majority of them to jump in freight. All Giada did was watch it be unlocked with narrowed eyes. At this point, she as so tried, she'd just let whoever it is murder her if they wanted to. Giada wouldn't stand a chance against anyone, man or woman in this condition anyways. All of their bodies stiffened as they inverted their eyes towards the door. Giada gazed, frowning slightly as it opened up wide to reveal one of the many guards in this place. He didn't pay the group of people the slightest bit of attention, not even bothering to spare a glance in any of their directions. Giada almost preferred it that way. She supposed she should stand up at least to see what the fuck was going on here. In the back of her mind though, Giada wondered what would happen if she just casually walked out of those doors. 

She jumped to her feet rapidly, getting ready to do just that; ignoring the jolts of pain that spreaded like a wildfire through her veins. Who would've guessed being put in a life or death situation could be so physically straining? The woman felt a hard determination to prove to whoever these people were that she wasn't weak, not in the slightest. Giada heard Thomas shuffling to his feet in the back of her, but all she could think of was walking right out that door.