Chapter 4 (Part 6)

"Possibly the worst thing about Glenfield," Simon began as he cut his chicken. "Is the death grip religion has on it."

    Ophelia nodded in agreement.

    "I still feel bad you had to grow up adjacent to the church," Patrick told her.

    "But religion has no place in government," Simon went on. "I mean, the government here isn't ideal in the first place–monarchies present a myriad of problems on their own–but having the King and Queen in the church's pocket is dangerous."

    "It harms women, it harms minorities, it harms gay people," Ophelia agreed. "The list goes on."

    After finishing a bite, Patrick continued. "They've outlawed abortion–even for children. It's basically illegal to be gay, since the church has made it so many believers will be intolerant enough to take matters into their own hands. Not to mention the church's own ability to outright punish it."

    "Do you think people would be more accepting if the church lost its influence?" Ava asked.

    "Definitely," Patrick replied. "The church operates on fear and control. Without the level of power they have now, people would be so much more likely to think for themselves."

    Ava picked up Remington and pet him in her lap as she listened attentively.

    Later that night, Ava couldn't sleep. She tossed and turned on the floor, drawing the attention of Isabel.

    "Trouble sleeping?" she asked.

    Ava nodded and sighed. "I always thought church was just boring, but apparently it's so much worse than that."

    "The church has used your family to run Glenfield for years," Isabel informed her. "They ruined my life."

(The Story of Isabel)

    Isabel was lying, sprawled out on the floor, her front half covered in her own vomit.

    "Isabel, what's wrong?" Her mother rushed over to her.

    Isabel groaned, still on the ground. "I don't know. This sort of thing has been happening in the morning for months. Normally I can make it outside, but I slipped while running today."

    Her mother's voice was low and slow. "Months?"

    Isabel rambled on how she figured she would feel better soon, as her mother placed her hand on her daughter's stomach, feeling the slightest protrusion. "What did you do?"

    "I just vomited, mother," Isabel replied. "I'll clean it up myself if it's that big of a deal."

    Her mother let go of her daughter to slap her. "Don't you play dumb with me! I'm talking about the baby in your belly."

    Isabel's eyes widened. "A baby?" She began to get up slowly. "But how can that be? I'm not married."

    "Exactly!" Her mother exclaimed.

    Isabel ran over to her mother, despite the redness in her face. "Please mother, I don't understand. How could I have made a baby?"

    Isabel's mother stumbled over her words a bit. "Well, aren't they teaching you that in school?"

    Isabel shook her head.

    Suddenly it dawned on her mother. "What man touched you?"

    "No...no," Isabel stammered. "He said it was no big deal."

    "Who?"

    "Mr. Stewart."

    Mr. Stewart was their neighbor.