A few heads poked out of the housing units, a couple Mobians jogging over to Vector. "Nurse," one said.

"Doctor," the other added.

"Vector?"

Vector whirled around as Blaze the Cat approached him, looking around.

"Blaze?" he exclaimed. "What are you doing here?"

"You seem to be in a rush," she said, gesturing to the Mobians behind him. "I can explain later."

"Right," he said with a nervous laugh, turning back to the others. "Follow me, you two."

They rushed back to the tower, hurrying into the living room where the doctor was messing with the tubes connected to Espio and (Y/n). Color had returned to the chameleon's cheeks and he was looking more alert, the empty plate of food on the floor next to him. Blaze sucked in a sharp breath, stepping over to the (a/t) and ghosting her hand over her forehead.

"What happened?" she whispered, settling on her knees beside the sofa. She glanced back at Vector.

"Silver had a Chaos Emerald," Vector told her. "We didn't know about it until...well, until it was too late." Blaze didn't respond, smoothing (Y/n)'s hair out of her face and resting her forehead against the (a/t)'s. The doctor beckoned to the two newcomers, breaking down her condition and his plan.

"You came from the Burning Zone, right?" Espio asked, leaning forward in his seat. Blaze lifted her head, turning to meet his gaze. She nodded. "How is Shadow?"

"Unwell," she said, turning to fully face the chameleon. "He shared a connection with (Y/n), but with her deteriorating condition, the connection has faded and left him prone to the influence of his ghost. I have no doubt Sonic is the same."

"Maybe worse," Espio mused quietly. "It's been months since he's seen her."

"It is possible," Blaze agreed. "Have you reached out to the Freezing Zone recently?"

"Haven't had the time," Vector said. "They can handle themselves, though."

"Alright, I'm going to ask unnecessary personnel to please clear the area," the head doctor announced. "We need space to work!" Blaze pushed herself to her feet, brushing her hand across Espio's shoulder as she passed on her way to the kitchen. Vector nudged Charmy after her, following close behind him.

"How is Silver?" Blaze asked once they were away from the living room.

"My guess is not good," Vector said. "The poor guy probably completely blames himself for what happened to her. If you're talking before this whole incident, though? Well...still terrible." Blaze looked down at her hands.

"I wonder if I could have...helped prevent this," she murmured. "If I had been here for him."

"What would you have done against a ghost?" Vector pointed out. "This is no one's fault. Not those heroes', not ours, no one's." He set his hand on her shoulder. "All we can do is try and survive. Try to preserve the lives we still have." She nodded, lifting her chin.

"You're right," she said resolutely. "If all we can do is try, then that is what we shall do."

~

"This is as far as I can take you," the dark figure stated, stopping several yards away from an iron gate. Several Mobians atop watchtowers flanking the gates began yelling to each other, the gates cranking open. Knuckles opened his mouth to thank his guide, but it was already gone. He turned in a confused circle, then momentarily dismissed it, rushing through the opening in the gate.

"This way," a Mobian in a tattered military uniform said, waving Knuckles down a tunnel to his left. He nodded gratefully, jogging down the tunnel. He stumbled when he reached the exit, stunned by the structures stretching before him. A weak groan from Tails snapped him out of his stupor, Knuckles jumping down the steps two at a time. Several wary Mobians spotted him, rushing out to meet him, someone calling for a doctor. The endless running and lack of nutrition caught up to Knuckles in a flash, bringing him to his knees. Someone gently pried Tails from his grasp, his vision darkening around the edges.