eighteen

Michael's POV.

Waking up the next morning was a struggle. I groaned profanities into my pillow, aimlessly moving my arm around the other side of the bed, trying to find my phone in what seemed like the endless bundle of sheets.

It finally landed with a flop on my pillow, and I grabbed it and switched it on, wincing as my eyes adjusted to the bright screen.

I had an unread text that was sent from Darby about 2 minuets ago.

Darby: hey best friend !! just wanted to let you know that the squad is having a movie night tomorrow, hope that you can come :-)

I bit my lip, trying to hide my smile as my fingers danced across the keyboard, typing up my response.

Mikey: yeah, if that's ok? I won't come if you don't want me there. btw, nice smiley face. never seen one with a nose before haha

Almost instantly, the little '...' typing sign popped up.

Darby: of course it's ok '!!! see you then. and shut up, noses are so important !! 😂

"Mike, are you up?" I heard my mum shout from the kitchen. "I made you some breakfast."

Mikey: not really. what about eyebrows?

Mikey: (-:)

Mikey: okay that kinda looks like a motto-brow. hahaha. hey, Im sorry but I have to go. I'll talk to you later, yeah?

Darby: HAHA yeah, bye !!

I smiled and locked my phone, pulling myself out of my bed and leaving my room.

"Hey, mum," I spoke, yawning and rubbing my eyes in the process.

"Good morning, honey. We have some stuff to talk about. Sit down and eat your breakfast," she nodded towards the blue porcelain plate that sat in front of me on the surprisingly clean bench.

My stomach churned at the thought of food. Buttered toast, egg and tomato. I need to eat, I need to recover. I know that. Gulping, I sat down on one of the wooden stools and picked up the fork that sat beside the plate.

"Okay. Well, Michael, I've been thinking about your health recently," she began, her voice soft.

I mentally groaned, but kept my eyes on her as I chewed my food slowly. She looked anywhere but at me.

"Um, how do I say this?" Her fingers tapped against the bench and she bit her lip in thought.

I wasn't expecting what I heard next. But the fact is; I did. I heard it.

"Honey, I've booked you into to see a therapist."

---

12:58pm.

Tick, tick.

I tapped my foot impatiently as I stared at the white clock that sat on the wall of the waiting room.

Yep. Here I was. In a hospital, in the bloody Mental Health Care waiting room. This is purely just stupid; I know that I've been feeling a bit sad all my life, but it can't be that bad, right? Everyone gets sad.

I feel like I've been here for an eternity already; and it's only been a few minutes.

12:59pm.

My eyes gazed at my feet, the white laces of my converses now almost a dirty brown due to my ownership of them for two years. Sighing, I ran my hands through my messy blue hair.