thirteen

Darby's POV.

I don't know when or exactly what happened, but we fell asleep together. Mikey in the hospital bed, and me, holding his hand tightly in the chair.

Hours must've passed because when I woke up it was late, around ten at night. Michael was still asleep when I looked at him. He looked peacefully beautiful.

I got up and got my bag. Unlocking my iPhone, I texted Luke.

hey, Luke. I'm at the hospital. Michael is fine. Thanks for caring about him, he appreciated it. He's doing great. can you please come pick me up?

I yawned, stretching a bit as the little typing sign came up.

Yeah, ok!! That's so good that he's alright. Best wishes. Love you I'm on my way

I locked my phone and put it in my pocket, and I swung the strap of my bag over my left shoulder. I bent down and kissed Michael's cheek before closing the door and heading into the lobby.

---

The next day, after informing Tilda, Luke, Ashton and Calum, we all came back up to the hospital in Ashton's car with flowers, chocolates, cards and teddy bears.

I don't think Michael had ever met Calum, but I really wanted Michael to feel as special as he could possibly be.

I led them down the hallway and I stopped at Michael's room. Ashton was in a fit of giggles at something Calum had said, and I put my index finger to my pursed lips to try and silence them.

Ashton looked down, but you could still see the humor on his lips, before he burst out into a massive laugh, his eyes crinkling up at the corners. Tilda rolled her eyes and hit him playfully, a smile on her face, which made him shut up. I nodded a thank you at Tilda and opened the door slowly, just poking my head through.

Michael was awake, he was sitting upright on his bed and he was emotionless, watching some shitty news program that they have every early Saturday morning.

I coughed to get his attention, and his blue mop of curls snapped around and his green eyes met mine, and his face broke out into a crooked grin, his eyes scrunching up around the corners and teeth showing.

A real smile.

I smiled back him, held my hand up to signal him to wait a minute while I looked back at Tilda, Ashton, Luke and Calum, to cue them to come in.

---

After many hours of hugs, presents, eating chocolates, laughter, get well and stay strong wishes, Michael's nurse, who's name was Julie, came into the room to tell us that visiting hours were over.

Tilda and the boys all gave Mikey a friendly hug, and I was last. I leant down and gave him the biggest hug I could manage when he was laying down, and I squeezed his hand.
I figured that was our thing now, holding each other's hands.

I whispered, "Call me if you need anything."

As we were in the car, Ashton driving, Tilda in the passenger seat, and Calum, Luke and I in the back seats, a conversation starter struck up from Cal.

"I really enjoyed meeting Mike," he stated, thinking out loud to himself.

"Yeah, he's a cool guy," Luke agreed, and I smiled and looked out the window.

Just a few seconds later, my phone buzzed repeatedly in my pocket, meaning someone was calling. I took my phone out and the name 'Mikey' was on my screen. I accepted and put the phone to my ear.

"Hello?" I asked.

"Darby! Guess what?" Michael said. I could hear the excitement in his voice, and I laughed.

"What?"

"The nurse, Julie or whatever her name is, she just came in and told me that I can leave tomorrow!" He exclaimed.

---

(The next day)

Michael's POV,

When I finally got home the next day, my mother gave me the biggest hug and so many forehead kisses. I couldn't remember the last time she had even been remotely nice to me, and so I hugged her back gratefully.

"My baby," she whispered, and I could see tears prick in her eyes.

"I've started therapy and I'm getting professional help, now. Things are going to change around here, Michael. I love you," she kept whispering, over and over.

I just nodded and stared at the floor.

After a few minutes she pulled away and went into the kitchen, telling me that she was going to start cooking dinner.

I trudged up the stairs to my bedroom, dropping Darby's suitcase that she let me borrow for my stay at the hospital.

I pulled out my school computer from one of my drawers and opened up my emails.

I had an unread one from Mr. Howe. Shit.

Hi everybody! Just letting you all know about the test that's happening on Thursday at 10:00am in the assembly hall.
I hope you've all been studying! I will see you all there.

Mr Howe
Principal

I sighed, running my left hand over my face and through my blue, now messy, hair.

I took out my phone and sent a quick text to Darby -

Hey! Test is on Thursday. That leaves 2 days!!! Can we organise something?? To study? 😁😁

The typing sign almost immediately came up.

Yeah! I'll pick you up now:) xx

I smiled at the text, brushing off the 'xx' as I slipped on my converses and jogged down the stairs, waiting for her car to show up out front of my house.

---

SHORT AND BORING.
Ugh.
I'm sorry for the wait and how terrible this is omfg
ily all❤️❤️